03 Wr 450

Thinking of buying this WR 450 with an Oregon Plated. Is this a good bike.. Was their any issues with this model. Getting a good price. Just worried about the Oregon plate.

I know that 03 fell into the Red sticker program. I've known the owner and remember when he bought it brand new. Just dont ride with him very often.

Dont know if I transfer over if I get a Cal plate or will I get a Red sticker.

I know all the updates have been done. Any help would be helpful. Thanks

Thinking of buying this WR 450 with an Oregon Plated. Is this a good bike.. Was their any issues with this model.

There were some issues with the 03 WR that you will see with some searching of this site- Kind of scared me until I heard from many that have had no problems with 3rd gear or starter issue. I have had my '03 for a season and it has been a great machine. By now any of the 'issues' would have happened - you should check it out for condition, make sure the gears feel good.

Mine has the '04 starter upgrade. No problems at all. The things is a beast! LOVE IT!

Ditto. The starter problem was the ONLY issue with the 03. The fix is to add the parts that were designed into the 04 and beyond. Its not like the 03 has defective parts. Just kind of a problem waiting to happen. Add the 04 starter clutch, etc and you are good to go. About $200.

Use the search engine for more details.

The 3rd gear problem is real, mine grenaded last Memorial day. I've owned the bike since it was new, BUT I've beat the everlovin' snot out of my bike.

Of the half dozen or so other people that I know of that have '03 WR450's mine is the only one to blow up 3rd gear. About a third of the transmission part numbers for the '03 have been superceed with new parts.

If the '03 you decide to buy doesn't have the upgraded ('04 and later style) starter drive parts you should keep that in mind when negotiating the price. The parts aren't cheap ($300+) but the damage that can result from the drive gear coming loose would cost much more.

Decided not to pick up the bike. May wait for a newer one to come along. Also scared of the Oregon Plate. Afraid that I will get a Red Sticker when I register in California. I already have a red sticker bike. Dont need another.

Thanks everybody for your help and replies.

Decided not to pick up the bike. May wait for a newer one to come along. Also scared of the Oregon Plate. Afraid that I will get a Red Sticker when I register in California. I already have a red sticker bike. Dont need another.

Thanks everybody for your help and replies.

Get a 426... aren't they green sticker??? (sorry I dont live in cali) You wont lose much in the power dept. esp with a lukes 444 big bore. They can be had for really cheap too! :worthy: