08 450 clutch basket

Does anybody know really quick if the 08 and 07 clutch baskets are the same? Same part #??

I doubt it. One of the upgrades to the '08 was supposed to have been reduced primary gear set backlash. But if you're asking that to find out if and aftermarket basket for an '07 will fit, it might. Don't know for sure, though.

I doubt it. One of the upgrades to the '08 was supposed to have been reduced primary gear set backlash. But if you're asking that to find out if and aftermarket basket for an '07 will fit, it might. Don't know for sure, though.

Thanks Gray, This is what i'm trying to work out. I have a Barnett Billet clutch basket thats for an 04-07 450. I would be using the primary gear from the 08 so i guess it would work yeah? I would hate to grind off the rivits and find out I have to buy a new basket.

I have a Barnett Billet clutch basket thats for an 04-07 450. I would be using the primary gear from the 08 so i guess it would work yeah?
No idea at this point. Might ask Hinson.
No idea at this point. Might ask Hinson.

I checked out the part numbers today at work and they are different between 07 and 08. I'll go to the source tomorrow at the races <Barnett> and find out if it will work.

Yes it will work. I just gave a customer of mine my clutch backet out of my 08 450 and put it in his 07 450.

Yes it will work. I just gave a customer of mine my clutch backet out of my 08 450 and put it in his 07 450.

are you talking "stock" basket? Complete? Yamaha lists a different part # between the years. I'm looking to put a Barnett billet basket in my 08 that i've had sitting around. It says for 04-07.

We already know that Yamaha has revised the primary gears to have less backlash, and that could be all there is to it. Then the lack of a specific '08 listing by Barnett might only be because they haven't researched it yet.

However, it's just as possible that Yamaha revised the cushion assembly at the center of the clutch basket/gear, and if that revision were extensive enough, it might result in a misfit, so we do need to know for sure, know matter how reasonable a guess we might make.

Yes, they are, but that really doesn't help at all in this particular case, since we already know the Yamaha part numbers are different.

Yes, they are, but that really doesn't help at all in this particular case, since we already know the Yamaha part numbers are different.

Yamaha's done a lot of silly part number changes from year to year. I would bet that there's no practical difference.

One could check the p/n's for the hat, hub, m/s bearing and shaft, plates, and crank primary gear and I bet they are all the same as the '06-'07. If that is the case, chances are that the hub will interchange.

You may be right. However, as I already pointed out, it isn't any more unreasonable than your assumption to guess that in the quest to make the drive train quieter they may have also made a modification to the cushion unit which would result in the '08 springs not fitting the '07 basket as they should.

If you feel that confident, then by all means, drill the rivets out of your clutch assembly without knowing for certain that it will work. Todd seems less convinced than you. Let us know how it works out. :worthy:

You may be right. However, as I already pointed out, it isn't any more unreasonable than your assumption to guess that in the quest to make the drive train quieter they may have also made a modification to the cushion unit which would result in the '08 springs not fitting the '07 basket as they should.

If you feel that confident, then by all means, drill the rivets out of your clutch assembly without knowing for certain that it will work. Todd seems less convinced than you. Let us know how it works out. :worthy:

There's allways JB weld (or is it liquid nails) to the rescue, isn't there?

There's allways JB weld (or is it liquid nails) to the rescue, isn't there?

I am not convinced. I will have an answer direct from Barnett this weekend. I race with some guys from there. Thats where I got this basket to begin with. All I do know is the box says for 04-07. I will post my answer from Barnett------then grind some rivits!!!!!!