I bought a plated BRP....now the modding begins.

I owned a fully tricked-out and plated '00 650r, and sold it like an idiot in '03. Had I known how difficult it was going to be to plate a new green sticker bike, I never would have done it.

I just picked up a CA plated '02 that has barely been ridden, and I am ready to begin the process all over again.

Here's what it has:

- RG3 revalve and springs

- FMF powercore slip on

- skid plate

- Baja designs standard kit

- Clarke 5.2 gal tank

- Analog speedo/odo

- basic un-corking (I am told)

Problems:

- slight hanging idle, even when hot

- will not idle till really hot

- lean condition popping (really bad)

Immediate Solutions:

- pull the carb, clean, and re-jet:

- B5 comp needle at 2nd clip

- 165 main

- 68s piliot

- uni air filter

- lube and adjust throttle cables

Engine Mods:

- I am looking for a Edlebrock

- change header pipe to FMF

- open side panel

Running mods:

- secure foot pegs with locktight

- Top clamp with riser (Scotts)

So, what else is on the must do list?

I also plan to put on stealthy-er lighting, taller seat.

TIA

Well, I'm not in Palmdale..........Clenord does a ride from Santa Clarita to there and back, which sounds challenging........

Too bad the forest is closed :worthy: and DWF may be for some time.

I did discover something last weekend. The DWP has an aqueduct overpass where the DC powerline crosses. It is 130th street I think.

I need to get my lighting sorted out so I can better go on the road.

That time I rode DFW/Rohrer (and crashed) w/cleonard and the group, I rode from Palmdale to DWF. Then after ride/crashes rode back through Green Valley, Leona Valley, then into Palmdale. Over 100 miles DS. PLENTY of trails near Wrightwood, etc. too.

100 miler? That's cool. I think I can handle that, if I eat my wheaties......

Krannie- nice bike.

Welcome to the "BRP"

Check 1x International for the footpeg mod (swap) and the oil line site tube.

Footpeg is a must- oil site is very nice to have.

I think my carb settings are the same except for the clip position.

It is rich on the bottom but almost erased any bog when whacking the throttle from low rpm.

Steering stabilizer?

Krannie- nice bike.

Welcome to the "BRP"

Check 1x International for the footpeg mod (swap) and the oil line site tube.

Footpeg is a must- oil site is very nice to have.

I think my carb settings are the same except for the clip position.

It is rich on the bottom but almost erased any bog when whacking the throttle from low rpm.

Steering stabilizer?

Yeah, stabilizer is good, but expensive. First is clean running motor (pull the carb and inspect/jet), then suspension for my weight (260, 6'4"), then ergos (bidding on used clamp on ebay, have new CRhigh bend bars).

Yeah, stabilizer is good, but expensive. First is clean running motor (pull the carb and inspect/jet), then suspension for my weight (260, 6'4"), then ergos (bidding on used clamp on ebay, have new CRhigh bend bars).

Ya... that's what I was gonna suggest - the "right" springs.

-maybe a tall seat too.

& did you say a 165 main? (or was that a typo?) I'm no jetting expert but I was running a b53n, 68s & a 178 @ 3800' with a simular set up (cleaner, cut box, hrc tip, ect.)

If I can't get piggy to fire with the new edel tommarrow - might make you a heck'va deal on it ...(uh, not really - but it's a thought that's crossing my mind)

Ya... that's what I was gonna suggest - the "right" springs.

-maybe a tall seat too.

& did you say a 165 main? (or was that a typo?) I'm no jetting expert but I was running a b53n, 68s & a 178 @ 3800' with a simular set up (cleaner, cut box, hrc tip, ect.)

If I can't get piggy to fire with the new edel tommarrow - might make you a heck'va deal on it ...(uh, not really - but it's a thought that's crossing my mind)

I had the Edle on my previous BRP, and it was wonderful. I was never the 'he can't get it to start' guy on a ride, which was nice. Oh, and the freakin' throttle response was amazing...

You now have the best of both worlds- IMO.

CRF450x for high dez, trails and racing

BRP for long distance, dual-sport and prerunning. (and general fun around town)

Yes. That was the plan. Desert and single track on the X, Fireroads, slow single track and even the fwy on the XR.

Now all I need (need?) is a KTM EXC-e 300 two stroke for the really tight stuff. Not.

Hey, I'm up here in Palmtuckey/Lancaster. I have been riding on a great trail system that is mostly dirt, almost to valencia and back. We hit up lunch and gas along the way sometimes too. Some great and challenging riding if we take some of the harder offshoots. There are many fire roads, a few hill climbs, some technical singletracks, paved canyon road, and access roads with kickers and jumps.

Hit me up if any of you want to ride together. I don't have a truck but can get friends who do if you want to suck some dust at Dove Springs or Cal City. I still think the trails I found are better though since you aren't pounding through whoops all day.