HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrpink46

Yz 450 Supermoto turning problems

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys:

I´m building a YZ450 Supermoto and found that compared to other street motorcycles, the YZ doesn`t turn as much. How can I solve this problem??? My idea is to use the YZ as a street bike, comuting.:worthy:

Thanks for the advice.

MrPink

13mm offset triple clamps by Tristar or Graves Motorsports.

Or, the 12/14mm offset clamps from Red Baron

Sorry for my ignorance. But what exactly is the offset??

I've seen advertisements of 22mm clamps. More offset mean more turning or what??

Is there any place where I can read about offset?

Thanks again for the advice.

MrPink

The offset in a triple clamp is the distance between a line drawn between the centers of the fork tubes and the center of the steering axis (the stem in almost every case).

The offset in the clamp is one of the ways of controlling or changing an aspect of steering geometry called trail. Trail affects both the stability of the bike at speed, and the way the bike behaves as it is leaned into turns at different speeds.

frame.gif

However, I am curious about how you have stated your question. It may be a language problem, for which you are certainly forgiven, but you have said that the bike "doesn`t turn as much". The first response you got has more to do with how easily/quickly the bike turns, and I wonder if you are asking that, or if you are wanting the bike to turn in a smaller circle when making U turns and such?

Thanks grayracer513, since I'm willing to use the bike for everyday commuting and dealing with traffic, I do need the bike to turn in a smaller circle when making U turns and twist riding in between cars.

MrPink

Thanks grayracer513, since I'm willing to use the bike for everyday commuting and dealing with traffic, I do need the bike to turn in a smaller circle when making U turns and twist riding in between cars.

MrPink

Then you may want to cut back the steering stops a little, but be prudent.