XR 600 gearing

whats a good sprocket combo for my 600 for woods /trail riding I need some more low end, my rear sprocket is pretty small, not sure how many teeth, havent counted yet. what is stock gearing by the way?

Stock gearing is 14/48 for the XR600R. If you want to gear down for the woods, try a 13T front sprocket.

13/48. i would run this on my L if i didnt ride on road.

14/48 is perfect for tight woods on the 600.

I use 14 45 on my Cr, and XR's. Seems to be a good mix for road/trail for me. This gearing gets ya to about 100 and is plenty for me!! I used to run a 14 53 on the CR, but was way to much, and not enough speed. 14 48 and my buds 650R beats me top end.

How about drive chain recommendations guys? I run 15/45, and I don't want to buy a $150 chain....what do you recommend for a chain in the $50-$100 range? Thanks.

DID X-ring is the best I've found. You can find them on ebay for less than $100

DID X-ring is the best I've found. You can find them on ebay for less than $100

I didn't want to steal the thread, so just one more question: OK, do you mean the DID 520VM or 520V chain?

I didn't want to steal the thread, so just one more question: OK, do you mean the DID 520VM or 520V chain?

I'm not sure what the letters mean, just search DID x-ring

Rocky Mountain X-ring chain and sprocket kit. Runs about $65 or $70 if I remember correctly.

Great response...thanks guys.

Rocky Mountain X-ring chain and sprocket kit. Runs about $65 or $70 if I remember correctly.

That sounds awfully cheap! Be aware that there are cheap knock-off chains out there. Make sure you are getting the DID brand.

Had this argument before. I used to run O-ring chains, until they are shot. I know racers that use Marshall chains. At first I never heard of them, then I bought one. For 20$, I can get a non o-ring chain that lasts a season with no problems. My local connect runs 250r's and uses these chains. It all depends on your maintenance schedule. O-ring chains require less attention, but do cause more friction in the drive train, or loss of power. This difference is not noticeable by me, and don't really care. I go through my machines EVERY ride and lube them and maintain accordingly. I bought 2 marshall chains and have no problems!!

Buy quality not quantity. Most chains are rated the same but do your homework. Just my opinion.

I rode the TransAmerica Trail this past summer on my XR600. I put a new DID x-ring chain on before I left. Not once did I have to adjust the chain on the whole trip. They are THAT good!

That sounds awfully cheap! Be aware that there are cheap knock-off chains out there. Make sure you are getting the DID brand.

I think a big part of the reason for lower cost is the shortened distribution channel. Instead of 100% markup it only has a 50% markup. No one knows for sure, but on several other threads the consensus is that the Rocykmountain chains are manufactured by DID.

I can't say anything about the durability of this chain as I have only about a month on it. The sprockets are as good as any others that I have purchased.