HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
917 rider

greese fitting in neck of frame

25 posts in this topic

has anyone tried to put a greese fitting in the neck of the frame to greese the steering bearings, just wondering if it would work:confused:

It would have some chance of working in a steel framed YZF, but you'd need a lot of grease to fill the entire space between the bearings, don't you think? In the case of the aluminum frames, the head "tube" is not a tube at all, but a casting with cavities that open into the steering head gusset area. After filling that with grease, you would have added about 6 pounds to the bike.

It would have some chance of working in a steel framed YZF, but you'd need a lot of grease to fill the entire space between the bearings, don't you think? In the case of the aluminum frames, the head "tube" is not a tube at all, but a casting with cavities that open into the steering head gusset area. After filling that with grease, you would have added about 6 pounds to the bike.

Sounds like a Polaris quad rearend. It takes 2 tubes of grease to fill the cavity before anything touches the bearings.

has anyone tried to put a greese fitting in the neck of the frame to greese the steering bearings, just wondering if it would work:confused:

Not a bad idea, but its kind of a waste of time. Once you pack a good quality grease in the bearings, it stays in there for a long time. (just keep the pressure washer away from it)

it stays in there for a long time.

Not on the aluminum frame models...

Did it on an old XR200 once. Takes a lot of grease to fill the head tube up. Kind of a waste.

Not on the aluminum frame models...

Why? The bearings in aluminum frames won't hold grease?

I think I over tightened the spanner nut and let water into the top bearing......found a little rust during the last inspection on the top bearing. Cleaned it and packed with grease, just need to order a new one. Buddies' 06 had the same problem, but don't think he over tightened the spanner nut, anyone have the same issue?

Why? The bearings in aluminum frames won't hold grease?
I think I over tightened the spanner nut and let water into the top bearing......found a little rust during the last inspection on the top bearing. Cleaned it and packed with grease, just need to order a new one. Buddies' 06 had the same problem, but don't think he over tightened the spanner nut, anyone have the same issue?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432327

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=560352&highlight=steering+stem

Many are, however.

But there is a cure (revised bearing with seal):

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5374812#post5374812

I had the problem due to my own carelessness. Tired after a day of racing and just wanting to get the bike clean as fast as possible. Pressure washer killed the upper bearing on my 06. I upgraded to the new part #. Very nice bearing compared to the old one.

I put grease fittings in my head, swingarm and linkage on my 00 426, the linkage and swingarm worked good, the head grease if pumped full will drip on the frt fender. otherewise it worked. mike

I put grease fittings in my head, swingarm and linkage on my 00 426, the linkage and swingarm worked good, the head grease if pumped full will drip on the frt fender. otherewise it worked. mike

Do you have any pics of the fitting locations that you chose on the swingarm and linkage? I am thinking of doing this to the swingarm and linkage on my '00 426. Taking apart the rear end to grease everything is a pain IMO.

The steering bearings are a lot easier to do and not worth the effort to put a grease fitting on for.

Zerks (grease fittings) must be installed so the the grease has a path to the "inside" of the bearing. This means there must be an area within the bearing bore that is not covered by a bearing race. In the case of the rear linkage, at each pivot point other than the shock itself, there is a pair of bearings, and a small space between them. The holes drilled for a grease fitting must go there, so that the grease will be injected between the bearings, and outward into them.

You will have to identify where on each pivot a fitting can be placed where it will not interfere with the operation of the linkage, and where it will be accessible. There are straight, right angled, and 45 degree zerks available.

Now, why shouldn't you do this? Because pumping grease in this way will push out at least one of the seals at each pivot, allowing grease to escape, and water and dirt to enter. True, if you use a waterproof or marine grease, and you relube each ride, that won't matter as much, but the grease pushed out by the new stuff will gather "stuff", too. Something to think about.

I posted some pics many yrs ago when I did the fittings, I can't find them now, I had it all apart so i could get the fittings in the prime location to get between the brgs, one brg wouldn't work for a fitting, but the rest worked perfect, have not greased my linkage in the last 4 yrs, all original brgs, If I get some time I will take some pics of the locations and post them. Have not had a problem with seals coming out or water getting in and I pressure wash my bike regularly. Mike

Now, why shouldn't you do this? Because pumping grease in this way will push out at least one of the seals at each pivot, allowing grease to escape, and water and dirt to enter. True, if you use a waterproof or marine grease, and you relube each ride, that won't matter as much, but the grease pushed out by the new stuff will gather "stuff", too. Something to think about.

My Dad put some zerks in my old KX. I was racing hare scrambles with the bike and about every other race I would break one off and the sand/water would get in the linkage. I wouldn't do it because of that.

Here are some pics of the fittings I put in 6 yrs ago, checked the linkage 4 yrs ago, and not since, bike has over 500 hrs , greasefittings010.jpggreasefittings001.jpg

greasefittings001.jpg

greasefittings009.jpg

greasefittings013.jpg

greasefittings012.jpg

greasefittings008.jpg

some are hard to see, like the one under the plastic cap on the right side of the swingarm, but you get the idea. Mike

Maybe this will look better

greasefittings014.jpg