HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frank ZX

Powerbomb or hi flow

4 posts in this topic

I did a search,but nothing about what I need to know.Is the FMF power bomb worth the extra $35.00 over the FMF hi flow?I have the FMF factory 4 titinum muffler coming,and I'm afraid it going to be loud.The power bomb is supose to lower the db's.What do you guy's think?

I had a powerbomb on my first 650R with a powercore 4. The powercore4 sucked, but the header was decent. I don't think it made any difference over a high-flow style header. The powerbomb nearly touches the carb and likes to melt pant legs. If I did it again, I would just do the high-flow.

I had a powerbomb on my first 650R with a powercore 4. The powercore4 sucked, but the header was decent. I don't think it made any difference over a high-flow style header. The powerbomb nearly touches the carb and likes to melt pant legs. If I did it again, I would just do the high-flow.

Thanks for the reply,but I ordered the powerbomb yesterday.I hope I didn't make a mistake.The main reason I wanted the powerbomb is to quiten it down somewhat.

I think the noise issue is B.S. between high flow and powerbomb. Its 98% affected by your exhaust can/Cam/compression/intake (side panel cut-out versus stock) and maybe 2% header.

Get some header wrap and wrap the sections that touch or come close to critical parts and your body. I would think about wrapping from aft of the "Y" near the cylinder head back to the powerbomb. If you do it like this, you can wrap the header off of the bike and then assemble it later. This is WAY easier than doing it on the bike. You don't really need to wrap anything else for protection, however you may pick up a horesepower or so wrapping the entire thing. Not worth the hassle for me, as I did it once for the power-bomb.

On my 650R bikes with headers, I doubled up a piece of header wrap and jammed it between the radiator and the header on the right side where it touches the radiator. I used some safety wire to keep it there. Use safety wire on the rest of the wrap to keep it in place. I didn't paint that one.

There are some threads for wrapping headers. Basically, wet down the fiberglass tape, wear latex or acrylinitrile (blue or blue/green) gloves and wrap it. Dry it out thoroughly, then paint it with thermotec sealant if you want it to last more than a year without getting ratty. I wouldn't worry about the head pipes near the cylinders or the cross-over in front fo the frame. That will get chewed up from rocks.

Don't use steel zip ties. They don't tighten well for header wrap. The ball-lock ones are the worst, never tried any other type. The safety wire tightens up well.