1999 YZ400F too old?

I have the oportunity to buy a '99 yz400f for $1500 but don't know if I'm going back too far. I currently ride a '03 YZ125 and would like to get into the four strokes since we woods and trail ride only. I have not seen the bike in person yet but the pics look good. Never been raced, adult ridden, and looks well taken care of. Is $1500 too much, will I regret a late 90's bike? I will likely sell the 125 if it works out.

I have the oportunity to buy a '99 yz400f for $1500 but don't know if I'm going back too far. I currently ride a '03 YZ125 and would like to get into the four strokes since we woods and trail ride only. I have not seen the bike in person yet but the pics look good. Never been raced, adult ridden, and looks well taken care of. Is $1500 too much, will I regret a late 90's bike? I will likely sell the 125 if it works out.

I'd say it's worth the 1500 if it's in good condition. my dad has a 98 yz400, not a bad bike at all.

I have a '99 YZ400f and its great. Just keep up with the oil changes and change the spark plug every now and then.

My 400f hasn't had to have the valves adjusted ever. It starts on the 2nd or 3rd kick always. My bike runs like a raped ape and makes tons of power. Get one. You'll love it.

thats a good deal, its a great bike woods and trail:ride:

Sounds like a good price. I had one. Hard to get use to the engine braking. Was heavy compared to the newer bikes. If you do buy this one, keep an eye on the bottom end. I lost a bottom end about a year into owning it. I changed oil every second ride with filter. Maybe just my luck. But did have fun with it. I still own yamahas, they make a good 450. Good luck

Actually, the older yzf's 98-2000 are steel valve motors. That will give them excepyional life span. After the guys with newer bikes go through a set of valves they switch to steel ones anyway.
Hondas, maybe, but not me. There isn't anything on the market more reliable than Yamaha's OEM titanium valves. Actually, Yamaha's OEM stainless valves will outlast their own Ti valves, but the only reason to use them IMO, would be in rebuilding an '01-'02 426, and then only because they're so much cheaper.

Of, course, my oldest YZ450 is only 4.5 years old, so I've never had to replace a valve yet. Or adjust one. :worthy:

I have a 99 YZ400 with a Rekluse in it and it's a great trail bike. I had the oppertunity to ride a 2006 WR450, 2007 CRF450X, and a 2004 CRF250X on the same trail in the same day to get an apples to apples comparison.

The thing that amazed me is how good my suspension is compared to the other bikes. I thought it would be more stiffer, but it actually is way more plusher compared to the other bikes accept maybe the CRF250X. The other thing I noticed is the Rekluse makes it so much easier to turn because I can break later and gas earlier without worrying about stalling the bike. The YZ400f is also more nimbler than the WR450 or the CRF450X. Those bikes felt like beasts on in the single track.

Here's some other notes:

1) The WR450f definately was not as snappy as my YZ. The owner said he did all of the free mods, but it is tammer than my 400. The suspension felt plusher just sitting on it, but once I took it out on the trail, it seemed more harsh. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

2) The CRF450X has got motor. However, it doesn't like to chug down. It bucks all over the place if you let the rev's down too low. It also vibrated more than what I'm use to. Maybe it's the aluminum frame, maybe it's because I've got pro-taper bars, I don't know.

3) The CRF250X was a real surprise to me. It's stock accept a power bomb header and it's snappy for a 250cc bike. It chugged a lot better than the CRF450X in the slow stuff, and it really didn't seem to give away much in the lower rpms. Once it opened up a little bit, the CRF450 and my bike would walk away from it, but still it was really fun. The chassy and suspension felt great on that bike, it felt really nimble and handled really well. I could see getting this bike with a big bore kit, although I don't trust the valves.

All in all, I liked my bike the best. It has the perfect combo of snappy power, plush suspension, and ax like reliability. I've been thinking of buying a new bike, but I can't really justify it.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I have a 99 YZ400 with a Rekluse in it and it's a great trail bike. I had the oppertunity to ride a 2006 WR450, 2007 CRF450X, and a 2004 CRF250X on the same trail in the same day to get an apples to apples comparison.

The thing that amazed me is how good my suspension is compared to the other bikes. I thought it would be more stiffer, but it actually is way more plusher compared to the other bikes accept maybe the CRF250X. The other thing I noticed is the Rekluse makes it so much easier to turn because I can break later and gas earlier without worrying about stalling the bike. The YZ400f is also more nimbler than the WR450 or the CRF450X. Those bikes felt like beasts on in the single track.

Here's some other notes:

1) The WR450f definately was not as snappy as my YZ. The owner said he did all of the free mods, but it is tammer than my 400. The suspension felt plusher just sitting on it, but once I took it out on the trail, it seemed more harsh. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

2) The CRF450X has got motor. However, it doesn't like to chug down. It bucks all over the place if you let the rev's down too low. It also vibrated more than what I'm use to. Maybe it's the aluminum frame, maybe it's because I've got pro-taper bars, I don't know.

3) The CRF250X was a real surprise to me. It's stock accept a power bomb header and it's snappy for a 250cc bike. It chugged a lot better than the CRF450X in the slow stuff, and it really didn't seem to give away much in the lower rpms. Once it opened up a little bit, the CRF450 and my bike would walk away from it, but still it was really fun. The chassy and suspension felt great on that bike, it felt really nimble and handled really well. I could see getting this bike with a big bore kit, although I don't trust the valves.

All in all, I liked my bike the best. It has the perfect combo of snappy power, plush suspension, and ax like reliability. I've been thinking of buying a new bike, but I can't really justify it.

I hope this helps.

Hey right on, I have one too with tons of mods and '00 plastics.

I can't justify trading up either and +1 for ax like reliability.

I do change oil every 4-6 hours though.

Thanks for the post.

Hugh

• 2 weeks later...

I've been busy lately but just noticed the bike that originally started this thread is still listed and they are taking any offer over $1000 and need it sold this week. Sounds like they need money. I going to call them and try the lowball and see what happens. I can't hardly pass it up now!

I had the 400 and sold it last year for $1500.00. I think that is a fair price if it has good tires an aftermarket Pipe, and has been well maintained. The 400 was getting a little heavy for desert races compared to the newer, lighter bikes. But if you are not racing and just recreational riding or trail riding...you will LOVE it compared to the 125.

The torque really makes it fun for hill climbing, rather than having to downshift, and keep it in the power band like the 125. It will take some getting used to the starting drill for you (you have to kick soooooo much harder to start this bike and you have to learn to work the de-compression lever and the hot-choke), but once you get that down , you will love it.