please read, need your help.

i went to pick up a new 08 yz450f from thr local dealer.

whene they tried to start it the first 3-5 kicks nothing happend

then the 6-8 kicks it just backfired and then he kicked it for about 20 more kicks and it wouldnt start. all this time the choke was out and he was useing the hot start. he also said that before they started it and ren it and it was fine.

after i give it a shot it fired up but if you give gas it would shut off as soon as you let go.

they took it to the back and they the mechanic started her up took her for a ride and when he came back i tried to start it (with and wit out the hot start) and it didnt go.

and there was stuff coming out of the hoses, one of them was coolent.

i come from 2 stroke backround so i know nothing about 4 strokes.

please help me out. thanx.

and BTW, is 6600 otd a good deal for that bike(not including tax)

i went to pick up a new 08 yz450f from thr local dealer.

whene they tried to start it the first 3-5 kicks nothing happend

then the 6-8 kicks it just backfired and then he kicked it for about 20 more kicks and it wouldnt start. all this time the choke was out and he was useing the hot start. he also said that before they started it and ren it and it was fine.

after i give it a shot it fired up but if you give gas it would shut off as soon as you let go.

they took it to the back and they the mechanic started her up took her for a ride and when he came back i tried to start it (with and wit out the hot start) and it didnt go.

and there was stuff coming out of the hoses, one of them was coolent.

i come from 2 stroke backround so i know nothing about 4 strokes.

please help me out. thanx.

and BTW, is 6600 otd a good deal for that bike(not including tax)

I've had the same experience in the past, but it's a new bike and no telling what type of gas is in it. Don't worry, it's fine....Just get some new gas in it and start breaking it in, you'll be fine.

If $6600 doesn't include tax, it's not out the door, is it?

Using the hot start to start a cold YZF is exactly like spitting upwind. You put the choke on to make it rich enough to start cold, and then you pull the hot start to make it leaner. Somehow, it makes no sense.

Since the mechanic was able to start it after Mutt and Jeff in sales loaded it up, I'd ask him to show you how to do it right.

If the bike is dead cold, pull the choke, and give the bike 2-3 full twists on the throttle. Not quick twists fast as you can, full twists. Then close the throttle, push the crank down until you feel the hard spot (compression), and reset the lever to the top. Then, with the throttle completely closed (and don't twist as you kick like all the 2T guys do), give a full kick clear through the entire stroke. If it fails after two kicks, twist the throttle twice more. Still not running? Open the throttle very slightly off idle and hold it in that position as you kick.

When it's warmed up completely, like you've been riding it for at least 15 minutes, leave the throttle closed and kick it with no choke, no hot start.

If you stalled it, crashed it, or just shut it off 6 seconds ago, leave the throttle shut and use the hot start.

The trickiest times are when it hasn't quite gotten warm yet. If kicking without the choke won't do it in 2, try it with.

Getting the idle speed and mixture right is the most important part of making these start well. After that, it's a matter of learning what it needs. But don't ask those sales guys what that means. I don't think they know.

If $6600 doesn't include tax, it's not out the door, is it?

Using the hot start to start a cold YZF is exactly like spitting upwind. You put the choke on to make it rich enough to start cold, and then you pull the hot start to make it leaner. Somehow, it makes no sense.

Since the mechanic was able to start it after Mutt and Jeff in sales loaded it up, I'd ask him to show you how to do it right.

If the bike is dead cold, pull the choke, and give the bike 2-3 full twists on the throttle. Not quick twists fast as you can, full twists. Then close the throttle, push the crank down until you feel the hard spot (compression), and reset the lever to the top. Then, with the throttle completely closed (and don't twist as you kick like all the 2T guys do), give a full kick clear through the entire stroke. If it fails after two kicks, twist the throttle twice more. Still not running? Open the throttle very slightly off idle and hold it in that position as you kick.

When it's warmed up completely, like you've been riding it for at least 15 minutes, leave the throttle closed and kick it with no choke, no hot start.

If you stalled it, crashed it, or just shut it off 6 seconds ago, leave the throttle shut and use the hot start.

The trickiest times are when it hasn't quite gotten warm yet. If kicking without the choke won't do it in 2, try it with.

Getting the idle speed and mixture right is the most important part of making these start well. After that, it's a matter of learning what it needs. But don't ask those sales guys what that means. I don't think they know.

Salesman know nothing.......except how to empty your wallet. Gray, thats about the best "starting procedure" i have read. Works for me everytime. I got my 08 for 6900. OTD. That was 2 months ago.

Works for me everytime.
The great thing about the bikes is, although they do vary a little as individuals, they all start almost exactly the same. If you can get one going, you can start any of them the same way.

thanxs guys,

i dont pay tax on it becuase i live in jersey and i'm buying the bike from new york.