HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
78sharpshooter

Do you cut the metal screen out from the air filter frame?

4 posts in this topic

I thought that I read that many people cut the metal screen out of the white plastic "guide" (the name that the parts diagram calls it) that the air filter slips onto to get better air flow perhaps. I have a 2006 YZ450 and wanted to know if makes a difference.

I thought that I read that many people cut the metal screen out of the white plastic "guide" (the name that the parts diagram calls it) that the air filter slips onto to get better air flow perhaps. I have a 2006 YZ450 and wanted to know if makes a difference.

My advice don't do it that is a backfire screen don't think it would make that much difference why take a chance of lighting your bike on fire?

Just order a yamaha 125 or 250 two stroke stock cage from your dealer. They haven't changed them in years, the two strokes don't have the screen. Did it to my 06 and now my 08.

It makes no provable difference whatsoever, and is a waste of time and money. Since the air filter element itself offers more restriction than the screen does, removing the screen does not increase airflow through the engine in any way.