(650R) Pig roasts Hog

I don't usually go out looking for a race, but tonight it was too easy. I had just made a right hand turn and was starting a straight section of road when a guy on a Harley deliberately pulled out in front of me and my little dirt bike :crazy: from a side road and started hammering it. I'm thinking you got to be kidding me. Well long story short I toasted him, I went around him like he was standing still.:D The road breaks into some twisties further down, by that time he was so far back I could barely see him turning off a side road. I know it wasn't exactly a fair race since I was moving when he pulled out, but he asked for it, not me. Kind of made my ride home a bit more enjoyable or should I say laughable:thumbsup:

I own a little H-D powerd scooter called a Buell Lightning XB9S .A 984cc air cooled Harley V-twin with push rods and two valves per cylinder. Oh yeah and it's fuel injected, 385 lbs and around a 100HP with the factory race kit. Taint no BRP touching that hoglet :crazy: I also own a XR650 and a H-D .

Keep up the good work !

XR650's (aka BRP's) are

tons of monster dirtbike

fun.

I'm not trying to start an attack on Harleys or other street bikes, the situation was just too easy not to take it, I know there are plenty of street bikes:blah: that can dust an R. I just thought since this was an XR650 :crazy: forum that some XR folks here might enjoy it.:D

I'm not trying to start an attack on Harleys or other street bikes, the situation was just too easy not to take it, I know there are plenty of street bikes:blah: that can dust an R. I just thought since this was an XR650 :crazy: forum that some XR folks here might enjoy it.:D

No problem...nice to hear XR stories of triumph.:applause:

I was riding down the street on my 650R and came up to a stop light behind a H-D. I had my girlfriend on the back and we were just out enjoying the day. The guy saw me and proceeded to light up his pipes taking off, and downshifting to the next light. He was making his bike as loud as possible. It was freaking annoying with his straight pipes. He wasn't doing it the other 2 blocks where I was catching up to him.

At the next light, I hit it. I carried the front wheel about 6-8 inches off the ground first through third gears and backed off at around 75 mph. I heard him nailing it through the first 3 or 4 gears.....

BLLAAAHHHH...BLAAAAAHHHAAHAHHA.....BLAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

He was about 10 car lengths behind me when I cranked my head around to see where he was. I was thinking, what a slow, loud, annoying, expensive piece of chromed steel.

I beg to differ on the noise (sound) of Harleys.

I think they sound absolutely awesome.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are not Harleys designed for cruising around.

Cruising along the freeway at 60 mph or something.

With the right rider, Harleys garner respect. I would gladly let one go first at the lights. It's the rider not the bike. When you have a bell-end rider who thinks he's on a Gixxer, or Busa, then they are not riding the bikes as designed per se.

If he's a decent dude on his Harley, and not copping a 'tude, they are cool (sounding) bikes and cool people.

The dollar is weak to the pound, so that's my 1 cent worth

With the right rider, Harleys garner respect. I would gladly let one go first at the lights. It's the rider not the bike. When you have a bell-end rider who thinks he's on a Gixxer, or Busa, then they are not riding the bikes as designed per se.

If he's a decent dude on his Harley, and not copping a 'tude, they are cool (sounding) bikes and cool people.

and I hope that is how I appear to folks on my stock 2007 HD FXDCI (Dyna Superglide custom) I like the beefy sound - the stock exhaust I think sounds great a nice rumble to it. I also like the old school look of it and it's a great cruiser for rding to work in the nice weather. I do think the HD would outpull the XR650L, as it see's 60MPH pretty quickly and without much effort, But then again, it should considering there is 96 Cubes between your legs (or 1,596 cc's). Harley's do garner a respect and admiration of thier own for just being what they are. It is the few that insist on the straight pipes and Billy bad ass attitudes that make a negative stereo type for the brand. when I do ride my HD to work and after observing the tough guy bad asses on HD's early in the morning on the ferry as they swagger about and loudly take off, I to chant to myself;..

"I'm tough, I'm bad, I ride my Hawley and I always look mad" LOL

personally I think riding is one of the funnest things you can do (with your clothes on) therefore I fail to see why most HD riders look like they are safety wired to the pissed off position.

now i beg to differ with you! i personally like the sound of an old parallel twin triumph or any of the Brit bikes . long live Lucas the Prince of Darkness!!LOL

I think almost any bike with 2 wheels is cool.But would I pay $18K for OLD technology?I don't think so.And just because it's FI don't mean it's modern.By the way,It's awesome when a dirt bike smokes a big over weigh bike.My $0.01.

I find that the cruiser riding majority, where I live anyway, sneer their nose up at my "little kids bike". So I take great pleasure blasting by them on the highway with my uncorked XRR. I find the HRC tip makes a nice braap as I go by too.

The guys on sport bikes seem more curious then anything. Most people seem to expect it to sound like a 2 stroke, until I start it up, then they are pleasantly surprised.

Proof positive that the crusing (HD) majority sneer at us "immature rice riders" on "enduro's"... is that when I am on my 650L I get nary a wave, get on the HD 2 minutes later and I am now "accepted". Remember it's all about

"I'm tough and I'm bad and I ride a Harley and I always look mad"

It's like they go through life kicking the shitcan all of the time, perpetually pissed off and acting like thier tougher than Rambo, Arnold and all th badasses of the world put together. Oh! I almost left out the "Vets don't forget" which they like to badge also.

Hell I am a vet and I like to forget!

Proof positive that the crusing (HD) majority sneer at us "immature rice riders" on "enduro's"... is that when I am on my 650L I get nary a wave, get on the HD 2 minutes later and I am now "accepted". Remember it's all about

It's like they go through life kicking the shitcan all of the time, perpetually pissed off and acting like thier tougher than Rambo, Arnold and all th badasses of the world put together. Oh! I almost left out the "Vets don't forget" which they like to badge also.

ya, why they always look pissed off? kinda silly putn on a show/act like that. you see both sides so you have a better perspective.

thats SO TRUE and so sad too, ive seen it alot too and it makes me wish they could hear what im saying under the helmet.

I got a very expensive, very custom HD bagger. And I got a very expensive, very custom 650R motard.

The bagger is not about speed and the motard is not about cruising.

I'll be the first to admit that maybe a third of all Harley riders are card-carrying buttheads. The other two-third will give you the shirt off their backs.

I get a huge kick out of riding my motard and waving at one of the "one-third" Harley riders and not getting a wave back. All you can do is shake your head and feel sorry for the poor ba$tard$.

The main point is: if I had to sell one of my bikes, it would be the bagger. I'd cry for a week, but it would still be the bagger that would have to go. The 650R is that sweet.

So, give two-thirds of all the Harley riders you meet a break. They're ok.

And do yourself a favor and stop racing Harleys, for Pete sake. There's no sport in it and it makes you look silly. Harleys aren't about speed. Just like 650R's aren't about long-range comfort.

Ride safe, all.

I got a very expensive, very custom HD bagger. And I got a very expensive, very custom 650R motard.

The bagger is not about speed and the motard is not about cruising.

I'll be the first to admit that maybe a third of all Harley riders are card-carrying buttheads. The other two-third will give you the shirt off their backs.

I get a huge kick out of riding my motard and waving at one of the "one-third" Harley riders and not getting a wave back. All you can do is shake your head and feel sorry for the poor ba$tard$.

The main point is: if I had to sell one of my bikes, it would be the bagger. I'd cry for a week, but it would still be the bagger that would have to go. The 650R is that sweet.

So, give two-thirds of all the Harley riders you meet a break. They're ok.

And do yourself a favor and stop racing Harleys, for Pete sake. There's no sport in it and it makes you look silly. Harleys aren't about speed. Just like 650R's aren't about long-range comfort.

Ride safe, all.

Not having a bagger, that was good. I do not race Baggers unless they are the 1/3rd, asking for it. Its fun smoking them off the line!:worthy: :worthy:

No problem...nice to hear XR stories of triumph

I can tell you some eXtRaordianary stories of Triumphs if you like ?

now i beg to differ with you! i personally like the sound of an old parallel twin triumph or any of the Brit bikes . long live Lucas the Prince of Darkness!!LOL

Amen brother ! Amen !!!

What is it with wanting to race other bikes ? Hell, if I am out on my bike I want to race every bike I see. If a see an old granny on a 50cc scooter, I have the urge to race her !!! I am much better now I am older, and have learnt to not rise to the bait.

Right now I ride a 2005 KLR650. I ride almost every day to work at the HD/Buell dealership I work at in the Pacific North West, even through the winter.Not too many employees there ride all the time.One guy who does rides a Hinkley Triumph sports bike-one ride either his 883 Sportser or his full dress Honda CBX.Noone gives me a bad time for riding my KLR.My KLR is certainly not fast.I wouldn't exspect to beat any HDs in straight line acceleration.But what a dual sport thumper can do in spades is lean without scraping-something cruisers can't do.Even with the stock dual sport tires this thing amazes me about how well it can corner and make transitions from corner to corner.

jon