Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alstar250

2007 YZ450F Best NON-ORing Chain???

15 posts in this topic

I have an '07 YZ450F and after taking everyone's opinion into account (Gray.. etc) I went and purchased a Regina 0RN6 for ripping up the S/West desert around Vegas, and for the most part I like the chain. I recently slapped on a paddle and went to the sand and my bike felt a bike sluggish on the bottom compared to other times and I thought, "What the hell, slap the stock chain on and check it out"...well the bike felt very snappy again. I guess just the added drag of the sand and maybe the weight of the paddle etc has exacerbated the friction of the O-Ring chain, so I now am going to run a non-Oring chain for the dunes. After directing me in the right direction for the ORN6, what do you guys recommend as the best one for me? I have talked to guys that run the D.I.D ERT2 on CRF450s for the entire season with good results. (By that I mean reliable with minimal stretching). Are there any that stand out or others that should definitely be avoided? Has anyone tried the Regina 520RH? Thanks guys and let me know...

The RH is a good chain, but the RX3 is their best off-road, non-sealed chain. Try that, if you insist.

If you think that your chain was creating enough drag to notice, it should have been at least smoking from the friction. The power loss/recovery you noted was more likely the result of jetting vs. weather, or the product of a rich imagination.

Has anyone ever dyno'd a bike with an o-ring chain v. a standard chain? I'd be interested to see what the difference is. I put a DID ERT2 on my 07 YZ250 (smoker) and didn't notice any SOTP difference from the DID X-ring I had run on my 05 YZ250. The bike is only 6 months old, but the chain is done. I have an ORN6 and MSR /Ironman sprocket set to go on before the next enduro.

My 06 YZ450F has a DID X-ring and a TAG rear sprocket. The sprocket is toast but the chain seems okay. I have a ORN6, MSR combo waiting in the wings for it too. I like the DID X-ring, but they have gotten really expensive, the Regina was $70, about $25 less. Hopefully it will be worth the savings.

There have been very few dyno runs comparing sealed to non-sealed chains. The differences in power between the two chains have never amounted to much, and the results of the tests have, in every case I've seen, been fundamentally inconclusive, and their validity very questionable because of basic flaws in the comparisons, like a cheap O-ring chain vs. a high grade standard type, or one was old and one was new.

The concept that sealed chains have a significant amount of drag is a little silly when you understand that at any one moment, there are only 8 O-rings in motion, those on the 4 pins where the chain is bending onto or off of the sprockets. And, of these, only the 4 rings at the front sprocket are moving as much as 15 degrees.

The local Yamaha dealer told me the

DID ER had the highest tinsel strength of any non oring chain. If it lasts a while Ill stick with it if not I might check out an oring chain, maybe not. The weight difference would seem like it could make a difference considering a chain is un sprung and rotational weight, and the stiffness. the dealer also told me that if I kept the DID ER clean and lubed it should last a while. They are pretty anti O-ring, I have friends that love oring chains. Just personal opinion... The dealer did have a good point that these bike werent desighned for oring chains and that it robs power and becarefull as they can rub or the cases.

Tensile strength is perhaps the most over rated quality of a bike chain. Anything over 6000 pounds is functionally unbreakable on an MX bike. More important by far is it's resistance to wear.

Only about 55% of the weight of the chain is unsprung. The forward 'half' is borne by the sprung chassis. Additionally, the Regina ORN6 sealed chain is 3 ounces heavier than the Regina RX3, so I doubt there's a great significance in that, either.

The dealer did have a good point that these bike werent desighned for oring chains and that it robs power and becarefull as they can rub or the cases.

Any chain will rub the chassis if the rear wheel isn't lined up, but it won't rub the cases. And your last name would have to be Windham or Reed to feel the power difference.

An o-ring chain will out last 3 regular chains. :worthy:

The local Yamaha dealer told me the

DID ER had the highest tinsel strength of any non oring chain. If it lasts a while Ill stick with it if not I might check out an oring chain, maybe not. The weight difference would seem like it could make a difference considering a chain is un sprung and rotational weight, and the stiffness. the dealer also told me that if I kept the DID ER clean and lubed it should last a while. They are pretty anti O-ring, I have friends that love oring chains. Just personal opinion... The dealer did have a good point that these bike werent desighned for oring chains and that it robs power and becarefull as they can rub or the cases.

Only CRF owners need to worry about the "narrow" chains.

I run non oring for clearance reasons and the ERT2 and RX3 are both great chains.

You can run an o-ring. It has to be the "narrow" one though.

I run non oring for clearance reasons and the ERT2 and RX3 are both great chains.

Clearance can be an issue with SuMo applications like yours, to be sure. But even in the worst case comparison between premium chains (less expensive chains can be somewhat wider), the ERT2 has an overall width at the pins of 17.6 mm, slightly slimmer than the 18.1 mm of the RX3, and the sealed ORN6 has a pin length of 20.4 mm. That's a total of 2.8 mm, which gives you 1.4 mm less clearance on each side of the larger chain. That's .055", less than 1/16". IMO, the clearance thing is also somewhat exaggerated.

The RH is a good chain, but the RX3 is their best off-road, non-sealed chain. Try that, if you insist.

If you think that your chain was creating enough drag to notice, it should have been at least smoking from the friction. The power loss/recovery you noted was more likely the result of jetting vs. weather, or the product of a rich imagination.

Well Gray...enough for YOU to notice, that is something for which I cannot speak intelligently, but enough for ME to notice is something that comes with little effort. Right away I noticed the difference pushing my bike out of the garage onto the trailer, and again once it was on the stand. What went from a very fast and easy spinning rear wheel turned into something like an 85-yr-old woman spinning the big wheel on the "Price is Right" - Again, I do like the ORN6 and I will keep running it for the desert, but jetting vs weather had ZERO effect on the sand comparison as I swapped them out within 20 minutes of each other. I'm just asking for people's opinion on a particular product regardless of why I want to use it...and for that I thank you (again) for your recommendation. I will definitely try the RX3 and give my feedback for those that are interested.