02 yzf426 header red hot?

Bike runs fine, I let it idle for about one min and the exhust header from the cylinder is glowing hot, might it be to rich or lean, how could I fix this problem any help would be great thanks a million.

Oh boy, you are gonna chewed out for posting this. Been answered a million times. It is totally normal for the header to glow, when you are not moving the header doesnt have a chance to cool. Freaked me out the first time my 426 started doing it in my garage one evening when I was working on it. But its normal, now go ride it!!!

:crazy: Warning...sarcastic reply.:D

Three things come immediately to mind after reading your post:

1) Search the forum and you will find that this is a common occurance when you let a 4st idle. You are the latest of a never ending string of people who have asked this question.

2) The bike is a few years old. My quess is that it otherwise runs fine, so this is not a problem; as long as you don't let it idle for more that a few minutes. Water cooled 4st's don't like to idle for prolonged periods.

3) Like the old joke; Patient - "Doctor, my arm hurts when I do this!" Doctor- "Don't do that!".

Bikes are ment to be ridden, not looked at while idling (I'll bet it was indoor too).

I have a 2000 426 and if you let it sit and idle the header does not become glowing hot. If your bike sits and idles and the header becomes almost red hot, you are running to lean or your ignition timing is advanced too much.

I have a 2000 426 and if you let it sit and idle the header does not become glowing hot. If your bike sits and idles and the header becomes almost red hot, you are running to lean or your ignition timing is advanced too much.

Get a titanium head pipe and see if it gets hot.

Ignition timing is not adjustable, in the first place, and in the second, exhaust heat is elevated by retarded timing, not the other way 'round. If someone has disconnected the neutral switch on your '00, and/or replaced the header with a stainless one, it will be less prone to it than it was when stock. It should be noted that under normal circumstances, the header will glow in about 90 seconds of idle time, but may not be seen as glowing unless you are in a lower light situation, like twilight, or your driveway at night.

It's only abnormal if it glows red in full sunlight, in which case, it will probably exhibit some other symptoms of being too lean (say, from a stuck hot start, running very poorly) along with.

It's only abnormal if it glows red in full sunlight, in which case, it will probably exhibit some other symptoms of being too lean (say, from a stuck hot start, running very poorly) along with.

Lets see a picture of the abnormally hot pipe....:crazy:

Bike runs fine, I let it idle for about one min and the exhust header from the cylinder is glowing hot, might it be to rich or lean, how could I fix this problem any help would be great thanks a million.

Lots of good humor in this thread, wa wa wa.:-)))

Actually I noticed that my old reliable '99 YZ's header glowed less after I jetting it richer (richer pilot, fuel screw setting) since it was so lean stock.

Also bigger main jet (180) and one clip richer on needle really helped it run better at my low altitude (500 ft) but that would not affect the "glowing" any.

Dude I've got an 01 that runs like the day I bought her off the showroom floor and the header has turned red since that day. Your response could get people tearing up their bikes when its perfectly normal for the head pipe to get hot.

They do get hot.. but how fast is it getting to this red stage 2 minutes from cold or 6 minutes? I worked on 450 with a carb that had it's slide plate put in up side down. (The flat side goes down) but the result was it would get hot real fast. ..and run a little crappy.