Got stopped hunting

I was riding my 87 xr600 with my bow and my brother was following. There was a fire that was about a mile away or so and was getting worse. So, the cop stops me and my bro and recommends we leave. I said o.k, then he starts looking at my bike. And says I don't have a spark arrestor exhaust (stock) and then he looks at my brothers, and he says he doesn't have one either. You can clearly see into mine, but in his you can only see a couple of inches (his is aftermarket, forgot the brand) and he told us he doesn't have enough time to write us a ticket. He was in an suv....next time I see one I think I will outrun them. Anyway, how do I know if my exhaust has been tampered with (spark arrestor removed)?

Thanks

I was riding my 87 xr600 with my bow and my brother was following. There was a fire that was about a mile away or so and was getting worse. So, the cop stops me and my bro and recommends we leave. I said o.k, then he starts looking at my bike. And says I don't have a spark arrestor exhaust (stock) and then he looks at my brothers, and he says he doesn't have one either. You can clearly see into mine, but in his you can only see a couple of inches (his is aftermarket, forgot the brand) and he told us he doesn't have enough time to write us a ticket. He was in an suv....next time I see one I think I will outrun them. Anyway, how do I know if my exhaust has been tampered with (spark arrestor removed)?

Thanks

DO NOT RUN! If you like your bike, that is-if they do catch you, in many jurisdictions, they own the bike, and you get to go directly to jail since fleeing an officer can be charged as a felony (like hunting? No more guns for LIFE).

Now that that's out of the way, you should be able to feel down inside the muffler with a long screwdriver and feel the sparky screen/baffle in there.

If you can see all the way down your internals in the muffler, most likely the sparky has been removed.

I stopped once-ONCE. Depending on where you are and where you ride and what you ride. The big thing is what is HE riding. I don't run when I'm home, within say 20 mi., unless I'm coming out of trails where i'm not supposed to be. I havent run into a Johnny law that could ride well anyways. Even guys I personally know are not the best riders. They play a little more cautious.:crazy:

The stock muffler on the XR600 has a Krizman type spark arrestor built in, in order to disable/remove it, the muffler has to be butchered. Next time, tell the officer to read the info stamped on the muffler. As for the Supertrapp, yes, it is a spark arrestor as long as it is fitted with discs and an end cap with no open hole.

I have a Yosh. pipe on my XR600 and I can stick my finger down the back end. I can feel no screen but on the bottom of the back end it has the statement about it being approved by the U.S. Forest Service... is this suffient or do I need that screen? thanks

I have a Yosh. pipe on my XR600 and I can stick my finger down the back end. I can feel no screen but on the bottom of the back end it has the statement about it being approved by the U.S. Forest Service... is this suffient or do I need that screen? thanks

Try something longer than your finger- the sparky on my TW200 is ~6" deep :crazy:

Savey forest rangers will have a wooden or plastic stick about a foot long, iffin it goes all the way in or more than 6inches into your pipe, you get ticketed even if you have a plate or stamped area that says your pipe is a forest approved spark arrestor. Mine is and says it is but I took the spark screen out to see if I got more power. I didi but I still have the screen which I will put back in for the winter. It adds a little off idle snap anyway, but not as good on top with it in.

The guy was in an SUV, I am sure I could have taken him. How would I loose my right to own a gun...it was a bow? I was just kidding about running away, I could act like I never saw him.

I'll take a pic later of my bike, and see what you think.

Sorry, but not quite sure what your talking about. I have heard of packing, and I am assuming I pull out the c-clip, then remove that inner cheese cutter looking thing, and make sure the foam type material (packing) is still in good shape and around it? Thanks