WR426/450 for a big guy??

I'm looking at buying a used 450 and I was curious, having never been on a WR, how much room there is in the cockpit. I'm 6'-9" about 270 with gear on. I know that given my size I'm not going to fit great on a bike. However, I've noticed some fit better than others. I'm currently riding a KTM300EXC and that thing is great in the roominess department. I would like to stick with KTM for this reason but their 4 strokes carry a hefty price tag, even used. I've read that the WR is a great bike but all the test riders are little guys. Hopefully some of you big guys can help me out. Thanks

it can be done, they make a drop kit of the foot pegs and then get some tall bars and bar risers and you will have plenty of room. im 6'1 and 220 and have plenty of room

I'm 6'-9" about 270 with gear on.

:crazy: I wouldn't like to run into you on a dark night.... :D

I think you are going to have problems with ergo's on any bike you choose.

Yamaha bikes are pretty tall, which is a good start. You can always add tall seat foam, taller bars and lowered pegs. Suspension would be the first item I would modify!

I'm 6'2 and was 260lbs (now 230lbs) there for a while. The 450's have enough power, your problem will be ergo's. :applause:

Think KTM 950 SE....

I rode a wr this year and was surprised how slow the motor was and soft the suspension was compared to a crf450, then again the wr had a stock (drilled end cap) pipe.I would think a xr650r with after market top clamp and tall bars with risers would fit you and the power for your weight would be perfect. but the suspension would need work.stock,they come real soft.

Then again that depends if you ever get into the big whoops or not.

I'm 6-5, 265 and I love my WR. I've got heavier springs front and rear, heavier oil in the forks, and CR high bars with a BRP submount (about 1.25" over stock). You might want lower pegs and even higher bars, but I think it's a good bike for a big guy.

I'm 6'5" 220 without gear. I have an '03 WR450 with protaper bars and a tall soft seat. It's plenty tall for me.

The tall soft seat makes a BIG improvement as far as getting us tall guys higher in the air. It's a somewhat cheap and comfortable mod that will go a long way.

I'm 6' 3" and in the 200lbs+ range. I love my WR but it's not the best mount for big pilots. Coming off a CRF450 it felt quite cramped at first. I've since got used to it, raising the bars and seat in the future will improve things. But at your size I would give first vote for a KTM then possibly second Honda. I have no experience with Kawi's or Suzuki's to give you an educated opinion there :crazy:

Just to chime in, the early model wr's are much bigger than the alloy framed. My 426 looks like giant compared to the '07 ...

Well there you go mines an 07.

The 07 WR450 comes with an enlarged cockpit over the '06. Footpegs are broader for bigger feet and slightly further back and lower giving more room than before. I'm 6'4 and 250lbs nad have fitted 55mm risers to the bars which is just about the max without replacing cables for longer ones. I find the sitting position perfect but would prefer about an inch higher on the bars for a more comfortable attack position. At 6' 9" you should have no problem seated but may need a different set of bars and risers with longer cables. Aside from that the bike is awesome unless you want to ride MX style table tops and big jumps - then you need uprated springs from stock.

The 07 WR450 comes with an enlarged cockpit over the '06. Footpegs are broader for bigger feet and slightly further back and lower giving more room than before. I'm 6'4 and 250lbs nad have fitted 55mm risers to the bars which is just about the max without replacing cables for longer ones. I find the sitting position perfect but would prefer about an inch higher on the bars for a more comfortable attack position. At 6' 9" you should have no problem seated but may need a different set of bars and risers with longer cables. Aside from that the bike is awesome unless you want to ride MX style table tops and big jumps - then you need uprated springs from stock.
Good point. I got +2" throttle cables from Motion Pro; about $60 for the push-pull set. The others just made it, but any higher and I would have had to change all of them. The headlight switch wires just made it, too.