Looking for a stock carburetor for a 2002 XR650R

Does anyone have a stock XR650R carburetor for sale (at a good price of course) Mine for some reason went bad and I don't have the money to buy an Elelbrock or Mikuni cab.

Thanks.

:D

If you can explain "what went bad", we might be able to help you with your carb issue. Upgrading would be nice, but if the money is not there, the stock carb works well for a stock bike if dialed in for your riding area for most riders. Maybe just a simple fix. :crazy:

The bike was stopped for some months due to an injury. I recently emptied out the tank and added new gas. I went to start the bike but had a lot of backfiring when letting off the gas. After getting input from a previous post, I removed the carb and sprayed it with carb cleaner but did not remove anything from inside the carb (did not want to make it worse). Put it back together but still had some back firing so I took the bike to a reputable shop thinking that it just neede a good cleaning but they called and mentioned that the carb needed to be replaced. I think they said that it was damaged by dirt running thru it. I asked if it could be fixed and they said no.

The bike is uncorked, and ran good before (10 months ago).

Could be as simple as a clogged jet(s) due to varnish formation from sitting. Remove the float bowl, remove the jets, if there is crud, clean everything up. Pay particular attention to the slow (pilot) jet, it is easily clogged due to the small orifice, run a short length of small gauge wire through it if necessary.

• 4 weeks later...

if it sat for a while its probably is just the pilot jet. when i bought my 650r it had the same prob. i just took of the bowl and removed the jets. just hold it up to the light. if the hole is round and clear of debris than thats not the prob. the pilot on mine was completely clogged, so i just took a sewing needle and stuck in and spun it. prob solved.

Sounds like it.

Clean the carb's innards,it's simple to do really.

Just reverse engineer everything you do after you do it.

Clean the jets ,look at your needle ,set your float check at 17mm or so or parrallal with the bottom of the carb(not bowl) when carb upside down, check the needle seat and reverse engineer every step after it's did.

The bike was stopped for some months due to an injury........ so I took the bike to a reputable shop .......... but they called and mentioned that the carb needed to be replaced.......... I asked if it could be fixed and they said no.

The bike is uncorked, and ran good before (10 months ago).

Holy schmokes!

A so-called reputable shop said your carb was toast because it sat for a few months?

And then they said it couldn't be fixed?

Earlier this year I bought a scrappy lookin' XL-125 for my son from Craigslist. The thing had been sitting outside for years and when I pulled the carb off and cracked open the float bowl, there wasn't just sludge or varnish, it looked like there were barnacles inside the damn thing. Ever seen the pylons under a pier, right at the water level? Like that.

dscf0011nm6.jpg

dscf0012kx8.jpg

There was so much gunk in the carb that all the jets were plugged solid as well as the orifices in the carb body. The air filter in the bike had long since gone the way of the Dodo Bird and had disintegrated into pure dust, and there was rusty sludge in the gas tank to boot.

In less than one hour, with the aid of a single can of Berrymans carb cleaner and my air compressor, that carb was good as new.

Now maybe your carb has some O-rings that are wasted, or maybe a gasket that is ripped, but I have never heard of a carb "going bad" from sitting.

And if they're trying to convince you that the carb is damaged because it let dirt through, I suspect that once they replace your carb, they'll conveniently inform you that the dirt that damged your carb also ate up your bore and piston and rings.

Don't walk out of that shop.......run screaming.

Holy schmokes!

A so-called reputable shop said your carb was toast because it sat for a few months?

And then they said it couldn't be fixed?

Earlier this year I bought a scrappy lookin' XL-125 for my son from Craigslist. The thing had been sitting outside for years and when I pulled the carb off and cracked open the float bowl, there wasn't just sludge or varnish, it looked like there were barnacles inside the damn thing. Ever seen the pylons under a pier, right at the water level? Like that.

dscf0011nm6.jpg

dscf0012kx8.jpg

There was so much gunk in the carb that all the jets were plugged solid as well as the orifices in the carb body. The air filter in the bike had long since gone the way of the Dodo Bird and had disintegrated into pure dust, and there was rusty sludge in the gas tank to boot.

In less than one hour, with the aid of a single can of Berrymans carb cleaner and my air compressor, that carb was good as new.

Now maybe your carb has some O-rings that are wasted, or maybe a gasket that is ripped, but I have never heard of a carb "going bad" from sitting.

And if they're trying to convince you that the carb is damaged because it let dirt through, I suspect that once they replace your carb, they'll conveniently inform you that the dirt that damged your carb also ate up your bore and piston and rings.

Don't walk out of that shop.......run screaming.

That is the worst condition I have seen a carb in! :ride: But most of the time as mentioned a good cleaning and your back in business. ?

yeah, i'd say she's a little dirty. i agree, run.

almost any carb is rebuildable, whether its economical is another question. if you do decide to replace the carb you can think about a flatslide pumper. the guy that i bought mine from did and i really like it. it's just a little easier to flood.