07 650L Puffs with only 1000miles

Hi, I was riding my 650l today in the woods and my friend that was riding behind me said that my bike is smoking, Not a lot but it is puffing when I get on it, for the rest of the day i would stop here and thare and rev the bike and it is definity puffing. I dont know wy it is burning oil when the bike only has a 1000 miles on it and i take care of it, i have already changed the oil and filter once and the air filter is always clean and i let warm up every time i ride. I do know i was riding some pretty long second gear wheelies but i dont see wy that would do anything the oil level is at the upper mark but not over, my bike has never smoked before untill halfway through today.

Can someone help me figure this out, Thankyou!!!

How's the jetting, were you in a higher elevation and possibly running rich? Might be from a rich mixture:prof:

Did you drop the bike just before it started smoking? If so, it's perfectly normal.

Is there, or has any, dust gotten through a dry filter? (It only takes one ride with a dry filter to kill the rings)

yeah we need some more info to try and get an intelligent guess as to what may be causing this?

Did you drop the bike just before it started smoking? If so, it's perfectly normal.

What does this have to do with the smoking issue he said???

Is it smoke or could it be water vapor? Sometimes when the atmospheric conditions are right any bike can give little puffs of water vapor.

prob. too rich. unless like stated before your filter is dry.

odd, and highly unusual. Unless you did not break it in correctly and thus the rings never seated. But even that is unlikely as I have heard of folks pounding them home at 70MPH right off the show room flooor and not having any problems. One thing not mentioned was the color of the smoke, black too rich, blue is oil, white wispy - condensation vapor. Are you running the stock paper filter or aftermarket. Just curious.

odd, and highly unusual. Unless you did not break it in correctly and thus the rings never seated. But even that is unlikely as I have heard of folks pounding them home at 70MPH right off the show room flooor and not having any problems. One thing not mentioned was the color of the smoke, black too rich, blue is oil, white wispy - condensation vapor. Are you running the stock paper filter or aftermarket. Just curious.

i agree, not likely to be a break in issue. its hard the mess that up. they also pre-run them at the factory.

I did drop the bike and a little after that i noticed the smoke but it smoked for the rest of the day. What i dont understand is when an engine is old an warn when you start it up for the first time of the day it puffs out smoke, when i started my bike up today it did not smoke one bit from cold, so i took it for a 10mile ride and when i came back i reved it and when i hit wide open i see some smoke and i can smell it, also yesterday the guys behind me said they smell a little oil. I have a jet kit and the bike runs great no problems besides this, and i have a twin air filter that is definitly not dry and never was i am pretty good with my filters. Thanks for all the help guys

What size jets are you running and what did you do to your jet needle, if anything?

55 pilot 158 main and needle clip at middle position fuel screw at 2 1/2 turns out.

Well that sounds right.

oil starvation during said long second gear wheelies thus potentially damaging the engine?? just how long were they?? i know this can happen with sportbikes so im assuming its possible with these bikes as well, maybe entirely wrong so correct me if i am

being a "dry sump system" this is not a problem.

I am just taking a shot at this - but I wonder since the motors infamously run very hot, maybe a valve seal got cooked and is bypassing oil into the combustion chamber.

The wheelies were about 1/2 mile long, I took the bike down to my local honda dealer today and they are going to take a look at it.