Just changing springs..yay or nay?

I tried to get the suspension setup for me on my 07 WR450 without doing the re-spring and re-valve. I ride slow single track in the mountains in the summer and fast desert in the winter. Due to my fat a$$ (218lbs) I couldn't get it right. I just got back from dropping off the bike at RG3 for a complete front and back re-work.

I will get it back next week and try it out on the weekend.:crazy:

At 205lbs I re-sprung and have been 90% satisfied.

Front will still bottom when race incorporates MX track, I have to adjust re-bound and compression if I want a smoother ride when just trail riding with the kid or slower group versus racing...:crazy:

At 205lbs I re-sprung and have been 90% satisfied.

Front will still bottom when race incorporates MX track, I have to adjust re-bound and compression if I want a smoother ride when just trail riding with the kid or slower group versus racing...:crazy:

Thats what I was wanting to hear. I'm going to start racing some XC races. I went to see if I could even make the 2 hour race and had no trouble but it dawned on me that I'm about 75 heavier than the suspension is designed for when I ended up 5' in the air and bottomed out in the hole I landed in. I can get around pretty good with it stock but the springs would be nice. I was pretty good at setting the suspension on my quads. As long as the adjustments are pretty broad from one extreme to the other, I think I can get it close enough. I don't want to spend $750 on the total package.

Thats what I was wanting to hear. I'm going to start racing some XC races. I went to see if I could even make the 2 hour race and had no trouble but it dawned on me that I'm about 75 heavier than the suspension is designed for when I ended up 5' in the air and bottomed out in the hole I landed in. I can get around pretty good with it stock but the springs would be nice. I was pretty good at setting the suspension on my quads. As long as the adjustments are pretty broad from one extreme to the other, I think I can get it close enough. I don't want to spend $750 on the total package.

I see you have an 05'...... I was more satisfied with my 04' spring change vs. my 07' and I was even heavier then.. I know the 07' forks are essentially the same just bigger diameter but I still feel that I had better results on my 04' after just re-springing...

I hear ya on the racing thing, I went from short course last year to long course this year and at the 2.5 - 3 hour mark the old WR starts feeling pretty heavy :crazy:

I did pretty good on my trial run. I rode as fast as the trails would let me go and I hit the roughest hills I could find the could actually hold out for 4 laps and 100+ bikes per lap. I'm 250lbs but I'm not fat. I'm a bricklayer and I've bulked up a lot since I was 19. I was 225 than and the older I got the thicker I got. The only thing that REALLY got to me was from picking my legs up to shift and hit the back breaks. They started hurting bad at my hips. I guess thats the only part of my body that doesn't get a good workout at work. I paid for the AMA membership today. The race is Sunday and I can't wait.

re-valve and springs both (if springs needed)

Timo McKeown

Amen brother! :crazy:

Put it this way Twiles, if the valving is too soft for the stock springs, what is it going to be like with up-rated springs?

I just got heavier springs to start with, made a crap load of a difference. I just couldn't get the dampening right. I tried different oil weights and heights, every clicker combo possible, but there is not much you can do to compensate for the soft valving. I finally gave up and sent my suspension away and got it revalved. OH BOY!!!! Far better than just the new springs. I say don't waste your time, get it set up properly from the start. :D