Brake Pad Choices????

I did a half-assed search for brake pads on TT, but the choices/threads that I looked into didn't help directly......

I see Kevlar, Sintered and Organic....(I thought only groceries were organic...:crazy: ).....anyway....the front end needs some new stoppers, I can't complain with the stock pads on the bike, they lasted 8k....I was just wondering if there was another choice of pads that maybe respond better in mud/water conditions....that don't get ate up under those conditions, as well as retaining decent stopping power on the street......I have no idea what the differences are between the above mentioned pads.....as well as there are prolly more choices that I have never heard of out there.......any ideas????

OEM pads are carbon if I'm not mistaken and stop better, but as cleonard pointed out are not real good in the mud especially sandy mud. Sintered metal pads do last longer but wear more on your rotors and do not stop quite as well. I have no experience with kevlar. I've had to replace a few rotors using sintered metal pads and stick to the carbon pads now days. Pads are not expensive compared to rotors. There is a trade off with whatever you choose.

• 5 months later...
So, is there a aftermarket carbon pad , as good or better than OEM? like EBC?

I've used EBC and they were OK. More or less like the OEM pads. Currently I run the Rockymountain Tusk carbon pads. They do the job for me. I'm really just a trail rider so I'm not abusing my brakes very much. If you ride the street and need better brakes, look into oversize rotors. Those really help to dissipate the heat better than stock.

oversized for sure if your looking for a big change, if you just want a better pad then i used both stock and ebc sintered. Oversized rotors like EBC are pretty good, i have one on my YZ and for just the person looking for better braking there great, there in expensive too like $120 for the kit. I like a really strong front brake so i wish they had a kit for the L, just looked yesterday and they dont so that kinda sucks cuz an oversized kit with about any pads rock.

Carbon = organic pads run cooler and are good for dry conditions. Sintered metal last longer, are more resistant to elemental wearing and have better braking characteristics in wet or muddy conditions.

I believe OEM pads are actually sintered metal.