I Got T-Boned (kind of long)

Hi to everyone

well on sept 17th at about 2:30 in the afternoon. i jumped on big red (XRL) to go the post office. about mile from my house on a quiet residential street i got t-boned.

i don't rememeber getting hit. a lady (she was very sorry btw) that in her words says she never saw me.

apparently me and the bike slid down the road (the policeman says) 138ft. i don't rememeber getting hit or sliding. what stopped me was a car coming the opposite direction. i slid into that car which stopped my forward progress.

that's pretty scarey the cop said he thought he was gonna find me with a car parked on top of me.

i just got home yesterday from 13 days in the hospital, and 15 days in a rehab center.

wild thing is i have not had any surgery yet. my doctor says the foot is too swollen to operate yet.

i have a total of 8 broken bones in my right foot. the doctor says he's not even worried about the broken bones. he said he'll fuse them if he has too.

an almost complete degloving of the foot. (degloving is where, this is how i'm describing it so it's not gonna be in medical terms) the skin separates from the internal tissue of the foot.

needless to say it hurt likes A son of a .... you know what. and still does.

the doc. says it will prob take the better part of a year to heal good enough walk and thee foot may never be the same. but i feel very blessed to be alive.

i have min. road rash on my hands and both calves. thanks to a large and thick back pack. i must have slid on the back pack.

• Like 1

last year I was riding my xr to work once in a while .One morning I went toward the bike to get on it then I remembered I had to take something that day so I drove the jeep. Then 2 miles down the road I was hit by a spinning car almost head-on taking out front then the rear axle(s) on my jeep.

That was the last time I thought about riding the xr in town on the road.

Then... 4 weeks latter I had just got it back on the road completely painted etc. some kid hits me in the ass and busted up the tailgate and bent the rear bumper I just put on.

Then... (this is where it get good) 2 weeks latter I was in my new work van and some bimbo plows into me, anther rear ender, on the same road 2 blocks down.

I have never been in a acident before last year,and have owned 8 road bikes over the years without a problem.

The three people that hit me were under 19 years old.

that sucks sorry to hear, i know what your saying about the surgery been there and it just seems wierd that they say thell wait for swelling to go down and its not an issue to wait, seems wierd but thats how they do it alot. Get well

good question. i was in the hospital for 13 days, and in a rehab center (weird i didn't get any rehabing) for another 15 days. :crazy:

almost everyone (nurses, doctors etc..) asked me the same question.

i way i look at it. the bike didn't cause this accident. the lady not seeing caused it. it would happened (like meantioned above) more than likely given if i were at the same place in time.

so yes i'll ride again.

the towing company is coming to take big red (XRL) to the bike shop this morning to have to checked out. the insurance will appraise the damage in the next few days.

bikes aren't designed to impacted by by cars weighing 3000lbs. or more. :D

the insurance appraiser says they'll more then likely just total the bike. :bonk:

if that's the case once i have all my surgeries (ok who are we kidding pob. way before then) i'll have the new bike in the garage and the tricks done to her. (pipe, snorkel removed, dave's mod's, rejetted, bars, skid plate (that one sounds kinda funny after sliding already) ,new clarke tank, etc etc...) :applause:

04 XR650L

full XR's only stainless system

rejetted

clarke tank

dave's mods

UNI filter

renthal bar Cr hi-bend bars

skid plate

dunlop 606's

XR400 front fender

CR rear fender

it's seems like i had done a lot more to the bike. maybe it's the med's they have me on.

that's all i can think of now. it seems like i was always doing something to the bike.

I had a similar injury, fell through a bad spot in a roof at work 20 foot to the floor and crushed the heel ankle and several other bones in the left foot, broke left wrist on the hand side (2nd time) as well as my left hip. The doctors told me you will never be the same you will never be able to walk on a roof again, you will never be able to ride motorcycles again etc.etc. Just stay positive and dont let any one tell you what you can or cannot do. My injury was in 1994, I sold my new XR600 with tons of mods while it was still worth something. Went through 5 years of rehab and subsequent surgeries and can do anything now I could do before the accident. I had the "wait for the swelling to go down" speech as well, it was explained to me that if they cut it open while so swolen it would pop like a tomato and it would be impossible to get all that stuff put back in there. I eventually had two arthrodesis (fusion) surgeries to stop pain ( my ankle and wrist were fused ) they took bone from my hip to pack in there and let it all grow together. Even with the fusions it still allows me to do anything I choose to do. I'll never forget the day I went to the orthopedic surgeons office with my wife in tow and told him I bought a new 2000 Honda XR650R dirt bike and was using it to complete my therapy. His reply was "Why didn't you just go get a girlfriend or something". I fell out laughing and the wife got pissed at him. He is a well known orthopedic surgeon and teaches it at a prestigeous university as well. He was amazed at my will to not let this handicap me and used my situation as a case study of what can be done with a willing patient.

good question. i was in the hospital for 13 days, and in a rehab center (weird i didn't get any rehabing) for another 15 days. :D

almost everyone (nurses, doctors etc..) asked me the same question.

i way i look at it. the bike didn't cause this accident. the lady not seeing caused it. it would happened (like meantioned above) more than likely given if i were at the same place in time.

so yes i'll ride again.

the towing company is coming to take big red (XRL) to the bike shop this morning to have to checked out. the insurance will appraise the damage in the next few days.

bikes aren't designed to impacted by by cars weighing 3000lbs. or more. B)

the insurance appraiser says they'll more then likely just total the bike. B)

if that's the case once i have all my surgeries (ok who are we kidding pob. way before then) i'll have the new bike in the garage and the tricks done to her. (pipe, snorkel removed, dave's mod's, rejetted, bars, skid plate (that one sounds kinda funny after sliding already) ,new clarke tank, etc etc...) B)

Glad your "ok" if you will? Tough hand you were dealt. That sucks!:bonk:

You might consider buying the bike back from the Ins. Company for pennies on the dollar after you are payed the the claim and salvaging your mods and parting out the bike. You will profit from this but it might take some time.

To be honest I hate reading these threads on all the forums but the thing is I read them anyway and I will continue to read them for as long as I'm able to ride because you never know.... We are all vunerable to the preocupied, cell phone talkin', juvenile, elderly, drunk, blind (you name it) cagers and there doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel.:applause::crazy:

Hang in there,

R...