'93 XR650L vs. '04 KLR250 ???

Here is my current dilema. I have a 2004 KLR250 that just doesnt have the balls to propel me at acceptable speeds, either street or trail. I have been looking to upgrade for a while now and a 1993 XR650L has just presented itsef. The only prob with the XR is the 20k mileage, mostly street. The asking price for the XR is only $1300. So, on to my question. How will the XR compare to the KLR250 on the street and on the trails? I understand that the XR is heavier, though not by as much as I would have thought. Also how is the balance of the XR compared to the "all the heavy things up top" balance of the little KLR. I do like the idea of having the "magic button" and I also like the idea of having a Honda again, as I used to have a '92 XR250 that just always worked perfectly.

Anyway, input would be a great help, as I am stumped, having not ridden a XR650L before.

does it smoke

Not sure of it's mechanical condition yet, as I have not seen it run. I will look for any smoke, oil leaks and I will listen for any odd noises. I own a KLR, I know all about odd noises...:crazy:

Owner says that it runs great and pulls hard with gobs of torque.

does it smoke?

I contacted the seller and he informed me that it smokes for about 5 minutes when first started, but after the warm-up, it doesnt smoke. What does this mean exactly? Is it a bad thing? My '04 KLR250 has a little gray/blue smoke upon starting and it runs great.

I contacted the seller and he informed me that it smokes for about 5 minutes when first started, but after the warm-up, it doesnt smoke. What does this mean exactly? Is it a bad thing? My '04 KLR250 has a little gray/blue smoke upon starting and it runs great.

valve guide seals. not a huge issue, if you can handle a wrench Ok.

just think of it as auto-oil prime for cold starts!LOL

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to go look at it Saturday and take it for a test ride.

if you can handle a wrench Ok.

I should be alright doing my own mechanic work, as I just personally replaced the valves and top end gaskets in my KLR250 because the previous owners NEVER did a valve adjustment. The intake valves were recessed so far into the head that they were about to pull through. If I can do a top end rebuild on a KLR, I should be able to handle a Honda.:crazy:

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to go look at it Saturday and take it for a test ride.

I should be alright doing my own mechanic work, as I just personally replaced the valves and top end gaskets in my KLR250 because the previous owners NEVER did a valve adjustment. The intake valves were recessed so far into the head that they were about to pull through. If I can do a top end rebuild on a KLR, I should be able to handle a Honda.:crazy:

oh yeah! if you want to do it without taking the cyl head off, get a hose with a spark plug end on it and hook up compressed air to it to keep the valves closed. then remove the keepers,springs and repl. the seals.