HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mystubby

Xr650l Gear Selector Shaft Replacement

7 posts in this topic

Can any body please tell me if there is an easy way to replace my broken gear selector shaft on my 2005 XR650L? Can it be done without pulling the engine completely down?

Can any body please tell me if there is an easy way to replace my broken gear selector shaft on my 2005 XR650L? Can it be done without pulling the engine completely down?

no, sorry. time to split the case.

Yup, sorry to hear this, but you are into a full teardown.

Faced with a similar situation that I'm still in, I would suggest you open your wallet, do some research, and turn your XRL into a 50HP beast.

Yup, sorry to hear this, but you are into a full teardown.

Faced with a similar situation that I'm still in, I would suggest you open your wallet, do some research, and turn your XRL into a 50HP beast.

ya in a sick kinda way i almost hope something happens to mine so i can justify to wife that i need to build a 50 plus hp xrl!

I just split my case last night. It's not that bad. I strongly suggest you get the proper tools though. You'll need a 27mm socket, a 30 or 30mm socket, a case seperator, a clutch basket holder, and a flywheel puller. I got mine on ebay for $100.

Thanks for all the bad news, I had my local Honda service agent quote me $1000 to do the job, $800 labor and $200 parts ($80 per hour!), Do your US bike mechanics charge that much? I promptly picked the bike back up to do the job myself. I have since stripped the engine down, and replaced the broken shift shaft ($77 Aust.). I have also taken your advise to add a few more HP while Ive got it in pieces. I have purchased a wiseco piston (10.25-1) kit, and a hotcams stage 1 cam. I am also planning on sending the head out to be ported and polished? Is there anything else i should be considering while its in bits? Oh, the other thing i know I want to add is a stainless header pipe (I already have a white bros. E2 pipe), Which make header should I go with?