Another Chain and Sprockets Question

So I forgot to tighten the chain yesterday and 3/4 through the ride I shredded the teeth completely off the counter sprocket!:yikes: I think it is time for a new chain and sprocket set on my '06 YZ450.

I think the stock 13/49 gearing has been working out well for me, so I guess I'll leave it at that because I still like having a decent top speed with all the tight single track I do.

I'll get the Ironman rear sprocket and whatever front sprocket. Any suggestions?

Also, what length chain should I get? I want rear wheel to sit as far up as possible to get better low speed handling. Oh, and I will get the ORN6 Regina chain.

You're using stock gearing, so you'll end up with the stock 114 links. I don't think that you'll be able to pull a link out to move the axle up, but you might. However, I also don't think you'll see any noticeable difference in low speed handling for having done it, anyway.

I like the Sunline Works front sprocket :crazy:

So I forgot to tighten the chain yesterday and 3/4 through the ride I shredded the teeth completely off the counter sprocket!:yikes: I think it is time for a new chain and sprocket set on my '06 YZ450.

I think the stock 13/49 gearing has been working out well for me, so I guess I'll leave it at that because I still like having a decent top speed with all the tight single track I do.

I'll get the Ironman rear sprocket and whatever front sprocket. Any suggestions?

Also, what length chain should I get? I want rear wheel to sit as far up as possible to get better low speed handling. Oh, and I will get the ORN6 Regina chain.

A stock 114 link chain with a 50 tooth rear sprocket will get the rear wheel to the front of the swingarm

I have a 50T rear and 114 links and its close to the front, not right up on it but close enough. But since you guys are talking about this stuff, I have a O ring gold chain on my yz and it has been broken in but it seems to be always getting lose, I thought its not supposed to keep loosening up? Also, I noticed the master link sort of kinks at an angle, it pulls through, doesnt seem bad but all the links are straight until I roll past the master it is kinked, I am sure tightening it up again will get rid of it, but anyone ever seen that on their chain?

I have a 50T rear and 114 links and its close to the front, not right up on it but close enough. But since you guys are talking about this stuff, I have a O ring gold chain on my yz and it has been broken in but it seems to be always getting lose, I thought its not supposed to keep loosening up? Also, I noticed the master link sort of kinks at an angle, it pulls through, doesnt seem bad but all the links are straight until I roll past the master it is kinked, I am sure tightening it up again will get rid of it, but anyone ever seen that on their chain?

Are you running a clip style master link or a rivit link? I have seen rivit links kink up like you mention because they were installed wrong. They were "pinched" together to tight. What brand of chain is it?

Sounds like your chain is shot.

If you are going to run the ORN6 chain I don't think the Ironman sprocket is a necessary expense IMO. I run the low $$ PD sprockets with the Regina ORN6chain and they hold up extremely well.

Using the Regine ORN6, I have a two year old Tag aluminum on the '03. I know it's hard anodized, but....

Are you running a clip style master link or a rivit link? I have seen rivit links kink up like you mention because they were installed wrong. They were "pinched" together to tight. What brand of chain is it?

Its a clip style. And perhaps I did tighten it to much. Is the chain shot now or can I get by or fix it?

If the chain needs constant adjustment, something is wearing too fast. I'm pretty sure I've adjusted the chain on my '03 3 times in the 2 years since it was installed.

What chain are you running, and do you pressure wash it?

Hey Gray (that rhymed, lol),

I'm ordered the iron man sprocket set w/ the Regina chain. How long do you think it should last? Any specific maintenance I need to do besides keeping proper tension?

It should last a long time.

My chain maintenance works like this: Wash off the sticky coating of lube that's on your new chain with Simple Green and low pressure water, or mineral spirits (DON'T dunk the chain in mineral spirits; use a brush or a rag), then lube it with a chain lube that drys to a very low level of tackiness. I prefer Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard for 3 reasons (it's not sticky, it stays on, and it washes off easily).

After each ride, wash the chain by spraying it with a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water, let it soak a few minutes, and wash it off with low pressure water no stronger than a garden hose sprayer. If you absolutely must use a pressure washer, avoid spraying the chain except by spraying directly from the side, and from a distance of at least a foot back. In all cases, avoid spraying water at any angle at which you can see the O-rings. If water is forced under the seals, it will carry dirt with it, and force out lubricant in the process, and the sealed in lube cannot be replaced in any practical way.

After washing, let the chain air dry, and lube it at least 8 hours prior to riding. The lube is for the outer rollers and the sprockets.

That's it. :crazy::D

It should last a long time.

My chain maintenance works like this: Wash off the sticky coating of lube that's on your new chain with Simple Green and low pressure water, or mineral spirits (DON'T dunk the chain in mineral spirits; use a brush or a rag), then lube it with a chain lube that drys to a very low level of tackiness. I prefer Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard for 3 reasons (it's not sticky, it stays on, and it washes off easily).

After each ride, wash the chain by spraying it with a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water, let it soak a few minutes, and wash it off with low pressure water no stronger than a garden hose sprayer. If you absolutely must use a pressure washer, avoid spraying the chain except by spraying directly from the side, and from a distance of at least a foot back. In all cases, avoid spraying water at any angle at which you can see the O-rings. If water is forced under the seals, it will carry dirt with it, and force out lubricant in the process, and the sealed in lube cannot be replaced in any practical way.

After washing, let the chain air dry, and lube it at least 8 hours prior to riding. The lube is for the outer rollers and the sprockets.

That's it. :crazy::lol:

:D:applause::bonk:B) B) B) B)

Thank you so much. I didn't know there was that much to chain maintenance. I appreciate all your help!

Anybody have any experience with RK chains?

im uplifting my front to a 15t and dropping rear to 48t based off of feedback gains from TT.. what size chain will i need to use?