HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seabass

Clutch Adjustment Question

4 posts in this topic

I've got an '05 WR 450 and cant seem to get the clutch adjusted properly. The last few races I've done I barely have any clutch left at the end of the race. I rarely abuse the clutch and pretty much just use the motor to get me outta sticky situations.

I had my bike on the stand and fired it up in neutral and noticed the back wheel spinning slowly....hmmmmm. So I decided to put it in first gear and when I pilled the clutch in the wheel kept spinning.

I played with the clutch cable adjuster but it didn't seem to help. I replaced my clutch plates and springs and have about five hard rides on the bike since.

Friends tell me I'm adjusting the clutch cable too tight, but if I leave much slop my clutch fades away quickly.

Someone else told me using Mobil 1 will cause the clutch to work improperly. I swithed to BelRay Thumper oil but that didn't cure the problem.

Anyone have any idea what's going on????

Running on the stand with the bike in gear and the clutch pulled it, it is not uncommon for the wheel to turn simply due to the oil turning in the clutch. Clutch fade is from my understanding usually more related to excess heat rather than clutch abuse. A good rule of thumb is to have enough freeplay to fit a penny or a nickel in between the perch and lever at the hinge point when you adjust the clutch cable. Hope this helps,

Josh

The rear wheel spins pretty fast when I put it in gear and pull in the clutch. Thaanks for the info.

Mine does exactly the same thing. In fact every bike I've ever had did that. I always lube my chains while bike are running.

BTW: Where on earth is Yap???