Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcattk

98 XR650L 2nd gear gone!

13 posts in this topic

My older bro just got a 98 given to him. It runs, but 2nd gear is completely gone? Has anyone ever had this problem? :confused: Thanks ~McAttk

Don't ride it anymore. Running it risks catastrophic failure. Usually this means the gear(s) are shot and need to be replaced. You have to split the cases to work on the transmission.

I had an 85 that did this,...nomal fix,2 gears and a shift fork.. but look at the other gears real close.All of mine were in bad shape(rounded engagement cogs),didn't replace because it would of been $900. for all of them.So I machined them as best I could and sold it the next week.

My older bro just got a 98 given to him. It runs, but 2nd gear is completely gone? Has anyone ever had this problem? :confused: Thanks ~McAttk

thx for your service.

make sure to check all gears for any pitting or wear when apart.

on occasion my 05 650L does not want to shift into 3rd..after I roll off the gas and clutch it a couple of times it shifts, no clunk grind etc, just a "hitch up in the get along" feelin' maybe toe induced ? but I don't think so, I been a shiftin for years....I attribute it to (without technical explanation) the torque that is made by the motor stressin the gearbox. Maybe 1000% wrong, but MHO. Happens less now than when new - as in during break in.

on occasion my 05 650L does not want to shift into 3rd..after I roll off the gas and clutch it a couple of times it shifts, no clunk grind etc, just a "hitch up in the get along" feelin' maybe toe induced ? but I don't think so, I been a shiftin for years....I attribute it to (without technical explanation) the torque that is made by the motor stressin the gearbox. Maybe 1000% wrong, but MHO. Happens less now than when new - as in during break in.

i think alot of times an individual bike may have its own different "characteristics". something it does just a little different than the rest.

It is worth trying different kinds of oil. Sometimes it can make a big differnece in transmission action.

ya, i may try your Rotella next time to see if it helps that 1-2 clunk.

It does.I was running Castrol 10W40 motorcycle and the 1-2 shift was very rough.I have been using Rottla 15W40 the past 4 or 5 oil changes and it has made the 1-2 shift smooth.

I had an 85 that did this,...nomal fix,2 gears and a shift fork.. but look at the other gears real close.All of mine were in bad shape(rounded engagement cogs),didn't replace because it would of been $900. for all of them.So I machined them as best I could and sold it the next week.

...with a full disclosure to the buyer...right? :thumbsup:

It could have been any one of us.

OP, if your brother does have to split the cases and have the transmission re-worked...well, he's got a great bike for a grand. :ride:

It does.I was running Castrol 10W40 motorcycle and the 1-2 shift was very rough.I have been using Rottla 15W40 the past 4 or 5 oil changes and it has made the 1-2 shift smooth.

cool, thanks for the confirmation. im sold!