broken swingarm bolt head

Have anyone seen this before?I was just cleaning all the electrical connections and noticed this:eek: when inspecting the side stand switch.Have no idea as when this happened (the swingarm pivot bolt head is missing,it just sheared off)The bike hasn't been crashed nor jumped or ridden in trails,just street.I've been riding it almost everyday and didn't noticed anything weird with the handling.I will replace the bolt right away but I'm wondering what could have done this.I have never torqued it or anything.It's scary to think that it may come loose while riding.

SSPX0302.jpg

SSPX0301.jpg

SSPX0299.jpg

The bolt seems to be in the wrong side of the bike (the missing bolt head)but it is from the left side where the kickstand is.

I'd maybe expect to see that if it was waaaay overtorqued.

Maybe a previous owner had it apart and overtorqued it, and maybe they even had to do something 'bad' to get it out, and they weakened it.

Maybe it wouldn't move or turn, and they put a big airgun on the head, and twisted it a little.

An odd one, indeed.

Dave

The odd thing is that it hasn't received any impact to that area and never been torqued in that area .I'm sure of this since i've been the only owner (bought it new right out of the crate)Actually I have no idea of how long it's been like that tough when I modified the kickstand one year ago I'm sure it was there.Will take the whole swingarm apart to check the bearings,maybe the bolt or the bearing seized and made the whole bolt rotate....(yup the lube dept. has been neglected....)Definitley weird.

The odd thing is that it hasn't received any impact to that area and never been torqued in that area .I'm sure of this since i've been the only owner (bought it new right out of the crate)Actually I have no idea of how long it's been like that tough when I modified the kickstand one year ago I'm sure it was there.Will take the whole swingarm apart to check the bearings,maybe the bolt or the bearing seized and made the whole bolt rotate....(yup the lube dept. has been neglected....)Definitley weird.

like dave said, it very well could have been overtorqued and stretched just enough by the factory or dealer. just enough to where it would last for quite awhile and finally bust.