86 XL600R good bike?

Hey everyone, havent been on the site for a while. Ive been looking for a road bike lately, and came across a XL600R. (Im actually taking my MSF riding courses this weekend). It is a 86, and from the description, it is in good condition, new tires, some new plastic, and clutch. I might be going to look at the bike tomorrow. The asking price is $800 USD. I dont know if its worth that, but tomorrow i may find out. I do not know much about this bike yet, but i will ask questions tomorrow. Anyone have any experience with this model? Is it good for a lot of road riding, good on gas too? I will try to upload some photos from the ad.

Thanks

01010601020801030120071010c24a94c3b78089e0bc00852f.jpg

010100010202010303200710100d97a394d6aefe05d40066df.jpg

Great bike.

Every bit as fast as a 2008 XR650L.

The suspension is not quite as good as the modern stuff, but good enough.

It's the best on the road of any of the aircooled dual sport Honda's. Runs at freeway speeds all day. Not as good in the suspension department for hard core offroading.

If it's in decent condition, $800 seems a fair price. Mountains of torque, bulletproof reliability and easy to ride (soft seat and suspension). Fuel mileage is decent too, probably about 50mpg or more if not hammered too much, and mods will affect fuel economy but it looks pretty stock. Hard starting could just be tight valves or could indicate a rebuild soon. Also, pay attention to any exhaust smoke - if it smokes, note whether it's just at startup or constant. Hope this helps, good luck.

good bike, go for it!

good bike, go for it!

I just paid 1,700 for an all original 2nd owner 86 XL600R with 14k on it, runs great and looks good too! has supertrapp on it and I think it is rejetted have not confirmed it yet though. I bought it because it is a nice addition to my 650L and my old XL's, fun fun fun!

I just paid 1,700 for an all original 2nd owner 86 XL600R with 14k on it, runs great and looks good too! has supertrapp on it and I think it is rejetted have not confirmed it yet though. I bought it because it is a nice addition to my 650L and my old XL's, fun fun fun!

ya good write up earlier. i want one!!!

Honestly, compared to ANY new dualsport on and especially off the road, my 1984 XL600R's seat rules ! It's all-day comfort like riding a Goldwing compared to my brother's '05 DR650.

Regrettably, that's something of a lost art for dualsport manufacturers.

Modern dualsport seats are in my humble opinion, way too serious and racy (hard).

i should b picking mine up next wk. 1986 w/2000 orig miles im just fonching at the bit!!! but ya sounds like a good deal. and good luck with yours