HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turbowhine

Fork Spring Shim...OEM on an L?

5 posts in this topic

I'm replacing the fork seals on a 94 L. I noticed someone has installed a 1.3 inch (crooked) piece of PVC pipe on top of the spring to shim it. Checking the manual and schematics I don't see a stock shim availabe, just the spring seat and thats it. Whats the deal? Are the springs on a 650R shimmed with a bushing?

Also, whats a good method to remove the dust seal?

Some folks shim the spring to increase the preload.

If it was a beefier piece I'd say maybe someone had put in Eibach springs- they come with a plastic shim.

Dave

dust seal You know those TINY little screwdriver you use for your sunglasses THOSE flat tips work well to get under seal and you can get out a bit and then use a bigger screwdriver or brute force with your finger tips.

Hmm,...good to know. Thanks for the tips guys. I'm gonna measure the stock spring to see if it's within tolerance, but I definitely want to ditch the crappy PVC chunk. I might look into getting a stiffer spring set for my 200lb self and luggage. Now it's a matter of Eibach or Progressive...

Dust seal, time to meet your maker!

Hmm,...good to know. Thanks for the tips guys. I'm gonna measure the stock spring to see if it's within tolerance, but I definitely want to ditch the crappy PVC chunk. I might look into getting a stiffer spring set for my 200lb self and luggage. Now it's a matter of Eibach or Progressive...

Dust seal, time to meet your maker!

Eibach you will have to use a piece of PVC. They send it with the springs. You will have to cut the pipe because the springs are shorter and the PVC makes up the difference. Not sure about the Progressive springs.