HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
auron

1st to 2nd gear ratio R VS L

10 posts in this topic

Someone posted the whole set of ratios for the 600R and the 650L here a while ago.

Good chance to get handy with the search tool- try searching this forum for "600R 650L gear ratio" etc.

Dave

Can't I change just the first gear only?

You a 'LUGger?

Anyway, you can take an XR600R 1st gear (both 1st gears), and use it in place of an XR650L 1st gear.

If you use a 600R countershaft, you have the option of adding a kicker.

Dave

You a 'LUGger?

Anyway, you can take an XR600R 1st gear (both 1st gears), and use it in place of an XR650L 1st gear.

Dave

the 600 1st lower? you just need the 1st driven and drive gears only?

You a 'LUGger?

Dave

That sounds contradictory to what this poster claimed:

XR650L_Dave,

The ONLY difference between the XR600 gearset and the XR650L in terms of ratio is first gear. Second gear on up is exactly the same. The XR600R's 1st gear is slightly higher. Other than that, the gears are not interchaingeable between bikes unless you replace the entire gearset, including the main-shaft and the countershaft. I know... I tried!!!

Lemme know if I am not interpreting this accurately. Just curious since my '07 L seems to have a 'gnashy' sounding 1st gear, especially on downshifting into 1st.

I want to put the XR600 1st gears into my XR650L, so the spread between first and second is not so large. They appear to fit, but that post that said you must swap the whole gearset confused me.

That sounds contradictory to what this poster claimed:

XR650L_Dave,

The ONLY difference between the XR600 gearset and the XR650L in terms of ratio is first gear. Second gear on up is exactly the same. The XR600R's 1st gear is slightly higher. Other than that, the gears are not interchaingeable between bikes unless you replace the entire gearset, including the main-shaft and the countershaft. I know... I tried!!!

Lemme know if I am not interpreting this accurately. Just curious since my '07 L seems to have a 'gnashy' sounding 1st gear, especially on downshifting into 1st.

I thought I heard you could change 1st over from a 600 set- could be wrong.

There are 2 different kinds of XR600R countershafts- at some point they went from 6 splines to the higher number of splines like the XRL has (14?).

Maybe someone tried a swap from a 6-spline countershaft?

I'll have to claim ignorance beyond that.

Dave

There are 2 different kinds of XR600R countershafts- at some point they went from 6 splines to the higher number of splines like the XRL has (14?).

85-90 XR600 uses the six spline countershaft. The 91 and up use the same splines as the 650L.