1999 WR400 new chain

I recently replaced the drive chain with a new O-ring chain. I also replaced the chain guide and Chain slider. I have the chain adjusters ran all the way in and the chain is still too tight.:confused: I am running stock gearing 15/50. The new chain is the exact lenght of the one I am replacing, which was also an O-ring chain. I am not sure what to do to fix the problem, I thought about dropping the rear sprocket down to a 49T or cutting the chain guide pad down some. Any suggestions?:confused:

Add another link. The old chain was stretched.

Did you count the links or measure the length.I wouldn't cut the new sliders. It's easier to add another link. Take it out later if need be.

People use multiple joining links for different axle locations(wheel base) ie; the further the axle is to the rear the less tendency for the bike wanting to lift the front wheel off the ground.The closer the axle to the front I think it steers better. On that point I may be wrong. But you get the idea.

I recently replaced the drive chain with a new O-ring chain. I also replaced the chain guide and Chain slider. I have the chain adjusters ran all the way in and the chain is still too tight.:confused: I am running stock gearing 15/50. The new chain is the exact lenght of the one I am replacing, which was also an O-ring chain. I am not sure what to do to fix the problem, I thought about dropping the rear sprocket down to a 49T or cutting the chain guide pad down some. Any suggestions?:confused:

Wasn't stock sprockets 14/50?

If you made the chain to length, just add another link and joiner.

I re-measured the chain it was 112 links instead of 114 links:bonk: I measured it with the old chain initially which was also 112. I guess it was stretched out so much it worked. I was able to add 2 links back and its where it should be. I learn a lesson that I should know by now, never assume.:confused:

I'm also relatively certain that stock was 14/50 on the 400's

Also - you'll just stretch that new chain way too fast if not replacing sprockets with it as well, the old sprockets will be worn (that's why your old chain was stretched, chains don't stretch beyond break in unless sprockets are worn forcing the chain to stretch to seat in the worn sprocket).

I always do all 3 pieces at once (front/rear sprockets and chain) because for what a good O ring chain costs, it'll last three times as long if new sprockets are also installed. - yes, it's a few more $ up front, but a few more $ saved in the long run - do the math...

The sprockets are fairly new, the bike was Frankensteined before I got it and I'm trying to straighten it out, a teenage kid had it and I think he used what ever was available to keep this bike going. I am sure the chain that was on there was not originally for or from that bike. This is my project bike that I purchased fairly cheep. Thanks for the info.:confused: