storm mx linkage vs offset clamps on06-07 yz450f

I havent actually tried the mx linkage made by storm yet,but I am considering it.Last week I asked on t.t if anyone had tried the linkage yet and didnt get much of a response.Just to let people know I got more info on the linkage and found out the linkage changes the head angle the same as a set of 23mm offset clamps.The price on the linkage is 129.00 and if anyone orders one make sure you order the mx linkage and not the lowering linkage.Anyway I just thought I would share this info with you guys.

I don't have any experience with this linkage on the Yamaha, but I did run their linkage on my CRF450 and I loved it. Many of the magazines reviewed the product for the CRF450 and also give it high marks.

I have checked their website a couple of times and did not see anything for the 06-07 YZ450F. I would be interested to hear how this works on the YZ, but from my experience with the CRF, it was well worth it.

It does not show it for the 06-07 yz450f on their web site for some reason.I saw it inside the chaparral catalog and called storm cycle to check and they said they make whats called a mx linkage for the 2006 yz450f.It should also work for yhe 2007.

For $130 I might try it out I aready have the22 offsets think it might be overkill?

Do you really think that the 22MM offset are overkill? Everyone (Tag, Tri-Star, RG3, Ride Engineering, etc) all make a 22MM or a 22.5 MM offset. The only one that makes a different offset is Applied Racing who makes a 24MM Offset. In reading reviews of Yamaha's such as Chad Reed's in MXA the pros are generally running 22.5.

I am curious to hear more about what you think of your 22MM offset. What brand did you buy?

Do you really think that the 22MM offset are overkill? ...

I am curious to hear more about what you think of your 22MM offset. What brand did you buy?

Yes, I think they're more than is required. So does Doug Dubach, whose recommendation is the 24mm offset. Applied's choice of a 24mm offset is based on that and two days of blind testing.

Read more:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551932

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=550577

greyracer I know it is not exactly the same,but all I can tell you for sure is what I have been told by storm and that is that it is close to the same in regards to performance as putting a set of 23 mm clamps on your bike.I think your missing the point I am making and that is for all these people wanting to fix their steering problem Why not try the linkage for 129.00 dollars first.

Offset clamps and modified linkages do two different things. The clamps increase (usually) the "trail", whereas the linkage raises the back of the bike to make the head angle steeper.

so basiclly it turns an 06 into an 07? they raised the shock on the 07 1.5mm and it helped it turn. but if it turns an 06 into an 07, are we all going to still buy clamps like everyone did with their 07?

confused yet?

I can't speak about the 06'-07' models, but I know for a fact that for my 04' model Yz450f, the Stormlink made quite a bit of difference in helping the bike stand up Less in the corner's, and overall making the bike "fall over" easier, which makes it turn sharper. It has also not hurt the bike's stability at all....i.e. No headshake whatsoever.

If my memory serves me correctly, other 's have posted that running BOTH the Stormlink AND offset clamps; tends to be VERY difficult in dialing in, and it's more or less, you use one or the other, not both.

so basiclly it turns an 06 into an 07? they raised the shock on the 07 1.5mm and it helped it turn. but if it turns an 06 into an 07, are we all going to still buy clamps like everyone did with their 07?

confused yet?

The '06 had a head angle of 27 degrees.

When Yamaha made the '07 shock longer, they made the head angle a steeper 26.8 degrees. (this is what everyone was doing to the '06 by raising the forks)

The '08 has a similar head angle to the '07 (26.9), but has more trail. The trail increase is equal to what you would get by putting a 24mm clamp on an '06-7.

Note that decreasing head angle (making te fork steeper) decreases trail slightly. Also important to anyone thinking of swapping the linkage on an '08 is the fact that the '08 linkage was changed to alter the rising rate, and using a Strom link for an '07 would reverse that change, having a possible undesirable effect on the rear suspension.

The '06 had a head angle of 27 degrees.

When Yamaha made the '07 shock longer, they made the head angle a steeper 26.8 degrees. (this is what everyone was doing to the '06 by raising the forks)

The '08 has a similar head angle to the '07 (26.9), but has more trail. The trail increase is equal to what you would get by putting a 24mm clamp on an '06-7.

Note that decreasing head angle (making te fork steeper) decreases trail slightly. Also important to anyone thinking of swapping the linkage on an '08 is the fact that the '08 linkage was changed to alter the rising rate, and using a Strom link for an '07 would reverse that change, having a possible undesirable effect on the rear suspension.

but the storm link on an 06 would be fine?

The link most likely raises the back more than the 10mm you have dropped the front, and so would change the head angle more than moving the forks up did. I would think that the link would do more for you than than pulling the forks up in terms of changing the head angle, but I don't think that I would do both together.

I'd guess that your '07/'06 comparison is about right. Sag would be a start from scratch thing.