2007 wr450 sag settings

I just check mine and the Static sag is at about 50mm. Sounds way too much. I checked my book (anyone else have trouble finding stuff in it) and it only refers to spring length min and max numbers..nothing about sag. A search here reveals mixed opinions.

What's the sag settings suppose to be on a 2007 wr450?

Try the Thumpertalk Suspension Forum, moderated by John Curea owner of MX Tech. He is very knowledgable about all aspects of suspension tuning and is happy to answer Thumpertalk members' questions.

Thanks..I should have checked there first and now have since done so..there's crickets.

I must be confused here since I was under the impression that the rear suspension sag should be set at 100-110mm.:confused:

If "Race Sag" is different that rear suspension sag please explain so I can learn something new:applause:

I must be confused here since I was under the impression that the rear suspension sag should be set at 100-110mm.:confused:

If "Race Sag" is different that rear suspension sag please explain so I can learn something new:applause:

Static sag (at least from what I've read) is the sag your bike has under it's own weight. Race sag is the Sag the bike has when your on it with all your gear and a full tank of gas.

Many guys don't gear up for this measurement and I think it's a mistake. I wiegh about 185+ but with gear I'm up to 225+/-. Many don't believe they wieght that much but if your a trail rider bringing the tools you need and a tube plus water, food, etc it adds up. Figure 30-40 pounds. Heck your boots alone weigh about 8-10 pounds!

For woods 18mm - 16mm is considered ideal by many...
:confused: That's interesting. I've always heard between 20 and 30mm free sag. I'm not doubting you, but where did you hear that?:confused:
My static sag was at 50mm!! Dropped it to about 18mm and put my 30lb back pack on and checked race sag and it came in at 103mm. I ride with about 40lbs of gear so it should be about right for Race sag anyway.:confused:
While this may have worked out for you, you should set race sag first and check free sag to determine if the spring is correct, like Rick says.
That setting is determined by setting race (rider) sag first...
:confused:

Here's a good link.

http://www.tootechracing.com/Static%20Sag%20Suspension%20Tip.htm

Originally Posted by RickSanson View Post

For woods 18mm - 16mm is considered ideal by many...

That's interesting. I've always heard between 20 and 30mm free sag. I'm not doubting you, but where did you hear that?

Good catch! What I wrote doesn't even make sense! "18mm - 16mm"! I meant to say, 18mm - 36mm for the shock static sag!

I made note of the error but left the message intact!

Duh!

Thanks!