Is this YZ426F worth $3000?

I'm new to forum and I'm looking to buy my first Dual Sport. This bike is street legal.

2002 YZ426F that has been modified with lights, speedometer, blinkers, horn, and mirror. The bike has several mechanical modifications which include a full fmf exhaust, jetted carb, k&n air filter, and hot start handle bar switch. The bike has low hours and looks like it's in great shape. He wants $3000 and he'll deliver bike to my front door.

Is this too high for a 2002?

It would be up here.Especially if the bike is mechically sound

Ok, it sounded a bit high, but maybe not.

It is a bit high, and remember that the first response you got was from someone in Canada, where their dollar is worth 98 cents, and they are used to paying higher prices in general.

The YZ426 itself is worth about $1700-2000. All of the add-ons may make it worth $300 more, but usually they just make it sell faster. It could be worth more to you if it happens to have just what you want on it already, though.

BUT....this bike is not only equipped with a lighting system, and not only is it street legal, it's already plated. I don't know how hard that is to do in New York, but in California, it's nearly impossible, and plated YZF's are automatically worth a premium just because of that. You decide.

$1700-$2200 sounds like a good price range

Make sure that it is legally plated. I was looking at a dual sport once and found out the plate was off a different street bike. The owner keep saying it didn't matter, I could just go in and get new tabs:thumbsdn:

I'd have to say don't do it. I don't think any competition motocross bike should be road modified. I don't think the motors are build to take that kind of sustained high rpm for extended periods of time.

Unless the bike is geared reeally high in the rear where you won't bring the revs up high at 45-50+ then maybe. If you want a dual sport than get a dual sport. And I'm sure they're much more comfortable to ride considering I have to sit on a bag of ice after a 40 mile loop.

Just for reference I sold my 03 YZ450F for $2200... but that wasn't set up for street.

It is a bit high, and remember that the first response you got was from someone in Canada, where their dollar is worth 98 cents, and they are used to paying higher prices in general.

The YZ426 itself is worth about $1700-2000. All of the add-ons may make it worth $300 more, but usually they just make it sell faster. It could be worth more to you if it happens to have just what you want on it already, though.

BUT....this bike is not only equipped with a lighting system, and not only is it street legal, it's already plated. I don't know how hard that is to do in New York, but in California, it's nearly impossible, and plated YZF's are automatically worth a premium just because of that. You decide.

gray i think your wrong about our dollar:

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=CADUSD=X

bikes in the states are cheap now:thumbsup: :confused:

Once again, the currency market takes a turn. :confused:

I sold my 05 to a friend of friend of mine for 3000.00

In Cali, a legal plate is worth 500-750 for a dirt bike...and as Gray said, it's damn near impossible to get it doen here anymore (and 100% impossible to get it done legally). If Nueva York is the same way, that would make 2750 a fair price at the high end...will he deal? As far as Michigan MXer's comment, there's not a lot of difference between the WRs and YZFs, other than the WRs are geared a bit taller with the wide ratio trans. While I would not want to take mine on a 500 mile all freeway journey, it's fine for 15 or 20 miles of pavement at a leasurly pace, linking trails together, or doing 200-300 mile dual sport rides. We have done several 200 mile days and have no relaibility issues on my '01.