Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AFM546

Remove dents from your header pipes at home in your spare time - no skill required

22 posts in this topic

You, too, can use a household appliance to remove dents from your exhaust header pipes. And it's free. Simply remove the pipe, fill it with water, stick it in the freezer, leave it while you watch the game or have a brew (or both), remove when it's good and frozen, and thaw. Easy. If the dent doesn't come all the way out the first time, repeat the process after flushing out the original ice. Click the thumbnails attached to see a titanium WR450 header pipe before treatment, in the freezer, after the first treatment, and after the second. Pretty amazing, huh?

before treatment 1.JPG

before treatment 2.jpg

in the freezer.JPG

after 1st round.JPG

after 2nd round.JPG

after 2nd round 2.JPG

1 person likes this

I had a dent on the outside of the curve and I tried the freeze thing at least 6 times with no luck. 05 WR 450.

What do you use to plug both ends of the pipe???

Not necessary to plug the pipe ends on straight pipes, the water becomes its own plug as it freezes. Just make sure there is no air in the pipe except at the pipe openings. Don't know about 2-stroke expansion chambers.

Tried it on a 2-stroke expansion chamber and it split the seam. It did pop out the dent and I was able to weld the seam back and it looks perfect.

i tried to remove a dent from a yoshimura headers but it only helped a little bit. I froze/unfroze it like 20 times without great success. You guys are lucky :confused:

With the 4 stroke pipes, you get lucky sometimes, other times, the ice just keeps pushing towards the openings because the diameter of the pipe is the same along the entire length - like pushing a freezie out of it's plastic package.

With 2 stroke pipes you have to be really careful - check it every 5-10 minutes once it starts freezing otherwise the seam can split like Ncampion's experience - however, 2 stroke pipes have a higher success ratio of dent removal because the diameter decreases as it approaches the opening, meaning the ice will create it's own plug from the inside, allowing more of the inner water/ice to exert outward pressure on the dent.

With the 4 stroke pipes, you get lucky sometimes, other times, the ice just keeps pushing towards the openings because the diameter of the pipe is the same along the entire length - like pushing a freezie out of it's plastic package.

You're also going to have better luck with OEM or other type Titanium headers, they are softer and will work better in this process than a Stainless Steel header.

I have been doing this for years with probably a 80% success rate. The best thing for all is to get a Stainless Steel unit when and if you replace the OEM , it is less likely to dent.

my header is like bent up. Id say it is more kinked. Is it possible that freezing it will fix that too?

my header is like bent up. Id say it is more kinked. Is it possible that freezing it will fix that too?

It's free and easy to find out :crazy:

I almost gave up but after three nights of freezing my header pipe, it finally worked! I filled the pipe completely with water the last night and sealed the ends with just a plastic ziplock bag and duct tape.