HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
todds924

Steeering head bearing reminder!!!!!

31 posts in this topic

Just brought the 06 back outta mothballs to race with my 08 this weekend and low and behold..........Those damn pressure washers will do it every time if your not careful.....I wasn't careful. Steering head bearings SHOT OUT!!!!! Took the steering head apart and couldn't believe it. I just replaced them maybe 30 hours before when i got my RG3 clamps.....used Bel Ray waterproof grease but still the bearings were rusted and the races were pitted. Anyway...Just a reminder to keep a good eye on those suckers!! And make sure they also don't get overtightened when installing!!!!!! That will be certain death to a new bearing. AVOID SPRAYING THE STEERING HEAD WITH THE PRESSURE WASHER.

Well the steering head is very suseptable to water even w/o a pressure washer....I have swapped out seals whick BTW are the same seals that came in the 06-07 (there was no upgrade). I just completely pack grease every 10hrs to the top of the bearing to try to keep water out....this is the only thing I have seen that helps....

If you buy new bearings, make sure the dealer orders them in. If they are in stock, check the bearing for a rubber seal. My replacement oem bearings had a rubber seal on them and they appear to seal better than what the bike was supplied with.

Just brought the 06 back outta mothballs to race with my 08 this weekend and low and behold..........Those damn pressure washers will do it every time if your not careful.....I wasn't careful. Steering head bearings SHOT OUT!!!!! Took the steering head apart and couldn't believe it. I just replaced them maybe 30 hours before when i got my RG3 clamps.....used Bel Ray waterproof grease but still the bearings were rusted and the races were pitted. Anyway...Just a reminder to keep a good eye on those suckers!! And make sure they also don't get overtightened when installing!!!!!! That will be certain death to a new bearing. AVOID SPRAYING THE STEERING HEAD WITH THE PRESSURE WASHER.

You may be quick to blame the pressure washer, but where do you run your gas cap vent hose? :confused:

If you buy new bearings, make sure the dealer orders them in. If they are in stock, check the bearing for a rubber seal. My replacement oem bearings had a rubber seal on them and they appear to seal better than what the bike was supplied with.

The LOWER bearing is the one with the rubber seal........It appears to be the same as the upper except for the seal. Thats OEM bearings for an 06. Lower bearing-seal, upper-no seal except for the big washer with a rubber seal around it , that goes over the top of the bearing.

Please re-read what I posted. The lower bearing had a rubber seal from day one in 2006. The upper bearing was an unsealed, plain roller bearing.

If you order an updated top bearing, you will get one with a rubber seal that matches the upper bearing cover/shield.

This is why they called the upper bearing an "Updated bearing" The part number slightly changed and it will help block water from entering the bearing. Is it any good? I dont know. Mine has now gone a full season with no water issues. The previous design lasted three weeks.

I researched this for over 2 hrs at the Yamaha parts counter and talked to several Yamaha people about this. I would not have bothered posting anything that was wrong. I usually post in the yamaha 2 stroke forum. I posted this here as we have virtually the same steering head and the issues that go along with it.

The upper aluminum is shaped perfectly to hold water and allow it to drop into the bearing. The new rubber shield may help stop this.

The official Yamaha parts diagram lists the two bearings as such

(upper) BEARING

93332-00078-00 (replaces 93332-00068-00)

(Lower) BEARING (4SR)

93332-00081-00

MORE INFO: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6702710#post6702710

Please re-read what I posted. The lower bearing had a rubber seal from day one in 2006. The upper bearing was an unsealed, plain roller bearing.

If you order an updated top bearing, you will get one with a rubber seal that matches the upper bearing cover/shield.

This is why they called the upper bearing an "Updated bearing" The part number slightly changed and it will help block water from entering the bearing. Is it any good? I dont know. Mine has now gone a full season with no water issues. The previous design lasted three weeks.

I researched this for over 2 hrs at the Yamaha parts counter and talked to several Yamaha people about this. I would not have bothered posting anything that was wrong. I usually post in the yamaha 2 stroke forum. I posted this here as we have virtually the same steering head and the issues that go along with it.

The upper aluminum is shaped perfectly to hold water and allow it to drop into the bearing. The new rubber shield may help stop this.

The official Yamaha parts diagram lists the two bearings as such

(upper) BEARING

(Lower) BEARING (4SR)

93332-00081-00

You are correct about the updated bearing. This is the one i installed on the 06. Now both upper and lower have the rubber seal. I in no way inferred that you were wrong, just stated what came on the thing stock. Good info!

I understand! Never bothered to change the lower bearing as it looked perfect. So our "special, updated bearing is nothing more than a lower! LOL Good info!

I did notice my upper "dust shield" had a tear in it from the factory. I replaced that as well.

Anyway, the updated bearing is holding up better. I took it apart after the season and no water had leaked past.

I understand! Never bothered to change the lower bearing as it looked perfect. So our "special, updated bearing is nothing more than a lower! LOL Good info!

I did notice my upper "dust shield" had a tear in it from the factory. I replaced that as well.

Anyway, the updated bearing is holding up better. I took it apart after the season and no water had leaked past.

The lower bearing may be made the same way, but it's not the same part (93332-00081-00) the ID is larger than the upper bearing. (you guys both knew that).

Roland, you're about the 5th guy I've heard of who found a torn top seal. Both mine are OK, but you guys made me check.

It's good news to hear that the new bearing cures this problem. I'm going to get a couple while mine are still in good shape. :confused:

The lower bearing may be made the same way, but it's not the same part (93332-00081-00) the ID is larger than the upper bearing. (you guys both knew that).

Roland, you're about the 5th guy I've heard of who found a torn top seal. Both mine are OK, but you guys made me check.

It's good news to hear that the new bearing cures this problem. I'm going to get a couple while mine are still in good shape. :confused:

Righty-O, they look identical and are made the same way except for ID,:confused:

So this is the new bearing that has a better seal?

(upper) BEARING

So this is the new bearing that has a better seal?

(upper) BEARING

That's what he said.

I greased the steering stem bearings on my '08 last night and the upper bearing does not have a rubber seal on it, just thought that was kind of interesting.

How new is the updated upper bearing, # 93332-00078-00? I just ordered the new part from a local dealer and will throw it in next time I grease the bearings.

I just replaced the bearings in my 06 and the top were completely shot. Rather than sticking to the stock oem parts this time I chose to try aftermarket from Moose ( part#D410-0020 ). I noticed, and it is pretty obvious, that the top seal actually sits down inside the frame rather than flush like oem. Does anyone know the reason for this? I can only assume that it is going to now be easier for water to get in.

THe new bearing helps but does not cure the problem. I tried cutting a neoprene doughnut to fit under the oem seal. It prolonged the contamination for quite a while. I wrap plastic around the head when I wash now. My 08 has no seal on the upper bearing either.

I just changed my steering head bearings with an All Balls set. The lower seal is nicer than what was stock, IMO, because it seals to the bearing and to the frame, plus the frame seal is a little more than just an O-ring. The new upper seal also seals tight to the bearing, but doesn't seal to the frame, so I used the stock seal on top of the new, All Balls seal. Packed tight with Bel Ray WP grease, everything looks good, but it's untested.

It's good news to hear that the new bearing cures this problem. I'm going to get a couple while mine are still in good shape. :banghead:

Make it 6...I did mine over the holidays & it was torn as well. Wish I read this sooner, the dealer gave me the non-updated bearing. 2006 450.