HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Timmerz

'83 XL600R front brake master cylinder:

4 posts in this topic

Anybody have any experience rebuilding one of these? Mine is shot, front brake is almost non-op...and I need to know if it's something that can be done on my patio, or should I have it done?

Anyone?

Thanks a mil!

Tim

It's not that bad to do. Not sure if that that has the hard to get at snap ring way down in the hole or not. It can be hard to get at with most normal snap ring pliers. That is the only really hard part of the job.

In many cases it is not repairable. Water gets in there and corrodes the bore that the piston fits in. I would take it apart before buying the rebuild parts. If the bore is smooth you are good. If it has pitting start looking for a replacement.

It's not that bad to do. Not sure if that that has the hard to get at snap ring way down in the hole or not. It can be hard to get at with most normal snap ring pliers. That is the only really hard part of the job.

In many cases it is not repairable. Water gets in there and corrodes the bore that the piston fits in. I would take it apart before buying the rebuild parts. If the bore is smooth you are good. If it has pitting start looking for a replacement.

Thanks very much...this helps...

I just bought the correct rebuild kit ($40 + tax) but will dis-assemble and inspect before I open the package in case you're right and it needs to be replaced...

Thanks again...

the wise one speaks! follow these recomendations. seems the hardest part of any of these jobs is having the correct tool that works and doesnt bugger up anything. be patient, inspect, and if possible rebuild.:confused: