HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
motodega

How to tame a 450 for a vet MX rider ?

10 posts in this topic

Any suggestions on how to make a 08YZ450 motor more manageable for a vet rider? I ride mainly motocross but I am a little too heavy/demanding for a 250F stock motor and suspension so I moved back up to a 450.

umm the 08 is tame. i think its slow actually. it turns better than my 06, but its slow. if you wanna calm the hit down try a tooth down on your sprocket.

You will get used to it. Give it time. Change the gearing if you really want to do just a little something that is easy to change back.

Any suggestions on how to make a 08YZ450 motor more manageable for a vet rider? I ride mainly motocross but I am a little too heavy/demanding for a 250F stock motor and suspension so I moved back up to a 450.

Have you ridden an '08 YZ450F yet? They are pretty tame stock.

Heres a free mod to mellow out your 450......... short shift (won't cost ya' a dime) :confused:

I am surprised you need to mellow out the power, most AMA pro wannabee young cowboys seem to think they immediately need more power.... (it must be the veteran mature thing in you speaking up) LOL

from one mellow vet to another, the '06-08 YZ's are SO easy to ride, just spend some time with the bike first before you go changing stuff......

umm the 08 is tame. i think its slow actually. it turns better than my 06, but its slow. if you wanna calm the hit down try a tooth down on your sprocket.

The 08 slow? You must still be running it with the stock pipe. My 08 rips all over my 06 but the 08 has a Pro Circuit ti-4 pipe..the 06 a Dr D. I raced the 08 4 motos yesterday- 4 holeshots. Much quicker lap times on the 08 also. I brought the 06 for comparison.

I feel I should recall my thread. I rode my 08 at a different track this weekend. Loamy and longer (versus hard pack and tight where I tried the bike the first time) and I agree with yall, the 08 DOES NOT need to be tamed even for a vet rider. A very different experience. Thanks for the suggestions though.