HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xarhtna

How much bike life to expect?

8 posts in this topic

IF you change the oil often and keep a fresh air filter in it along -

with not taking it to redline between each shift everytime you ride it, it will outlast you.

depends on your maintenance and the mods and how its ridden. they are extremely solid when stock and ridden conservatively.

the uncorking mods won't hurt anything and in fact will give it improved longevity I would think due to the fact that they run cooler. I think Martinfan is talking about other mods like cams etc that boost engine performance but may decrease longevity, anytime something gets "hopped up" you loose reliability over stock.

the uncorking mods won't hurt anything and in fact will give it improved longevity I would think due to the fact that they run cooler. I think Martinfan is talking about other mods like cams etc that boost engine performance but may decrease longevity, anytime something gets "hopped up" you loose reliability over stock.

you are right moto!:confused:

Seriously, my '93 xr600r, which is basically the same engine has had nothing mechanically done to it save for regular oil and air filter changes, and doesn't so much as burn oil. Decade and a half old engine without so much as ring burn...it will most definitely outlast me.

I got my 93 XR600 in 2000. I must have at least 20,000 hard miles on it since then. Who knows how many miles between 1993 and 2000? I did have to have some head work, new rings, and a gear in the tranny.

I have a stong feeling that most of my issues were due to some bad overheating.

I've heard of XR650L's doing 50,000 or more miles before any work.