HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xarhtna

Competitors

18 posts in this topic

dr650s klr650

Both are heavier and nowhere as near as good off the road. They also dont have as good as brakes or suspension. They are probably better on road for long trips. All are very reliable.

dr650s klr650

Both are heavier and nowhere as near as good off the road. They also dont have as good as brakes or suspension. They are probably better on road for long trips. All are very reliable.

Of course these are just the Japanese competitors. There are plenty of other Euro-competitors that are usually more expensive:

KTM 640 Adv

Husqvarna TE610

BMW F650 Dakar

Husaberg FE650

and others...

The husky and ktm i wouldnt say competitors, I think they are above and beyond the humble xr650l roots

mostly more $$$(the euro's), better performing offroad. i do beleive the hondas may be a bit more reliable, forgiving . they also dont have the parts availability that we in RED are afforded.

like stated above the klr's and dr's are also good alternatives but lack the offroad capabilities the xr's have.

The current XR650L is basically a 1990 XR600R.

Nothing compares directly, as it is the only over 400cc factory dual sport under $6000 you can acutally ride off road and not kill yourself right away.

The closest is really the DRZ400, which is MUCH more modern, but doesn't have the torque of the 650. They both have about 32 HP and weigh about 320lbs.

The next closest is the Husqvarna TE610. It is more advanced, faster, and has more horsepower , but it is even heavier at 336lbs. But it costs closer to $9000.

Check this out:

http://www.4strokes.com/articles/honda/allxrs.asp

1 person likes this

mostly more $$$(the euro's), better performing offroad. i do beleive the hondas may be a bit more reliable, forgiving . they also dont have the parts availability that we in RED are afforded.

like stated above the klr's and dr's are also good alternatives but lack the offroad capabilities the xr's have.

Not to flame you, but I think you are beginning to have the Honda corporate view...exactly why we haven't had a design change in the L for years!

Geo

Not to flame you, but I think you are beginning to have the Honda corporate view...exactly why we haven't had a design change in the L for years!

Geo

Don't understand what you are trying to say..........

Don't understand what you are trying to say..........

The point being that Honda has not updated their L design in 10 yrs as some as the other Japanese bikes. Year after year we see the exactly the same bike. The "Honda attitude" is one that their bike fulfills a niche that no other bike does, and yet, their are some many "improvements" that can be made (and many buyers do to "uncork" them) that should come right out of the crate and not California-ized including with more HP:

1. Opened up exhaust

2. Larger tank

3. 6th speed

4. Stronger sub-frame

5. Smog controls removed.

As a result of this Honda attitude, they don't listen to what their customers want to see...Just IMHO

The point being that Honda has not updated their L design in 10 yrs as some as the other Japanese bikes. Year after year we see the exactly the same bike. The "Honda attitude" is one that their bike fulfills a niche that no other bike does, and yet, their are some many "improvements" that can be made (and many buyers do to "uncork" them) that should come right out of the crate and not California-ized including with more HP:

1. Opened up exhaust

2. Larger tank

3. 6th speed

4. Stronger sub-frame

As a result of this Honda attitude, they don't listen to what their customers want to see...Just IMHO

so you can say KTM and husky have "honda" attitudes also.

who cares, maybe i can get a nice desk job at honda !

1. Opened up exhaust

2. Larger tank

3. 6th speed

4. Stronger sub-frame

Hate to tell you this, but the smog is not a California thing. It is a federal requirement to be able to sell the bike for on road use. The differences between federal and California requirements are not that great. In 2010 they will be 100% the same. California is just 2 years ahead of the EPA. The standards that street bikes in California have to meet will be extended nationwide in 2010. All the euro bikes have to meet the same standards. Both the Husky 610 and the Vtwin KTM's have catalytic converters.

so you can say KTM and husky have "honda" attitudes also.

who cares, maybe i can get a nice desk job at honda !

Not true KTM just announced their 690 Enduro ...new bike...what does Honda give us -> a damn little CRF230L..

Hate to tell you this, but the smog is not a California thing. It is a federal requirement to be able to sell the bike for on road use. The differences between federal and California requirements are not that great. In 2010 they will be 100% the same. California is just 2 years ahead of the EPA. The standards that street bikes in California have to meet will be extended nationwide in 2010. All the euro bikes have to meet the same standards. Both the Husky 610 and the Vtwin KTM's have catalytic converters.

Good point...I stand corrected.

Not true KTM just announced their 690 Enduro ...new bike...what does Honda give us -> a damn little CRF230L..

It still boggles my mind that they released that bike. The China bikes are more or less the same. Not built as well though. The engines are almost identical in design. I like the Jap bikes but if I were in the market for something like this it's a no brainer. Honda = $4300 and the China bike = $1000. I think that I would be buying the China bike.

It still boggles my mind that they released that bike. The China bikes are more or less the same. Not built as well though. The engines are almost identical in design. I like the Jap bikes but if I were in the market for something like this it's a no brainer. Honda = $4300 and the China bike = $1000. I think that I would be buying the China bike.

I tend to agree, I saw an ad for a Lifan 250 motocross for $1500 at PepBoys...I wonder if it really can hold up to jumps and poundings?

i think its a cool little bike for a wife/GF. at least they released a showroom street legal DS. i do agree we need something more, maybe they are starting to think about it ?