Street Only tires for XR600R

I have a '96 xr600r that is ridden entirely on the street, mostly around town. I'm trying to find a tire that has great street grip with good wet and cold weather traction, but it has to fit my stock rims. I have a few questions:

1. Can I run tubeless tires on my rims and still seal the air?

2. Can I run tubeless tires with tubes in them, or am I limited to only tube-type tires?

3. I plan to keep the stock tire sizes, but are there any STREET advantages to changing the tire size (in the scope that the stock rims will fit them)?

I ride in the rain quite a bit, and the DOT knobbies don't like it very much.

I have a '96 xr600r that is ridden entirely on the street, mostly around town. I'm trying to find a tire that has great street grip with good wet and cold weather traction, but it has to fit my stock rims. I have a few questions:

1. Can I run tubeless tires on my rims and still seal the air?

2. Can I run tubeless tires with tubes in them, or am I limited to only tube-type tires?

3. I plan to keep the stock tire sizes, but are there any STREET advantages to changing the tire size (in the scope that the stock rims will fit them)?

I ride in the rain quite a bit, and the DOT knobbies don't like it very much.

You can't run tires without tubes on your rims.I got street tires on my XR's stock rims.Try the Avon Roadrider's.They grip great even when wet.

I think the best selection comes from Avon. They have several styles to choose from. Many report that the Distanzia (AM43,AM44) work great. They have silica for better wet traction and it is a 90/10 (road/dirt) tire. For a pure street tire consider the new Avon Roadrider AM26. Avon is based in England. They know a thing or two about the rain. Check out the website at http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/

There are actually tires from a lot of mfgs that will fit. You can thank Harley for using 21 inch fronts.

For your questions.

1.) I have heard about some products for this, but as far as I''m concerned the answer is no.

2.) The mfg will not tell you to put a tube in a non tube type tire. If you want a tire with decent grip you must use a tubeless tire. There are very few road type tires that are for tubes. I've used tube in tubeless tire with no issues (yet). The problem is friction between the tube and the tire. I replace the tubes every tire change. Plenty of Supermoto guys have done this with no problems. You can ask in the supermoto forum.

3.) Do not go up on the tire size for the street. A overly large tire actually reduces the tire contact patch. The tire gets pinched and that causes it to be more curved. Some of the tread gets so far up the side of the tire that you will never reach it no matter how far you lean.

Thanks for the advice. I noticed some Avon tires that were the right size that I like, but they were labeled as tubeless. Since others have been able to use tubes in tubeless tires, I guess I can just follow suit. I'll make sure to get new tubes for them.

Any advice on what brand or type of tubes to run in the street only Avons?

Thanks again.

avon (Tony) Distanza's are a lot of fun, good grip. Slowed the speed wobble down quite a bit. Wobble starts at 95 not 85mph. They look cool. I put a 120 x 18 on the rear. Good for now until i get 17's then I will get Tony's again.:confused: PS can still roost your street bike friends from the side of the road at 60mph:ride:

• 2 weeks later...
I've just fitted a set of Pirelli Scorpions to my 600R

very impressed with them.

+1 :crazy:

Scorpion S/T front, A/T rear. 1200 miles and I've had one mild slip (over a painted crosswalk, when it was misty, in an off-camber turn) and that's it. I ride them almost as hard as I ride my sportbike with Pilot Powers, if that means anything to you.

• 9 years later...

+1 :applause:

Scorpion S/T front, A/T rear. 1200 miles and I've had one mild slip (over a painted crosswalk, when it was misty, in an off-camber turn) and that's it. I ride them almost as hard as I ride my sportbike with Pilot Powers, if that means anything to you.

hello, do they work on the standard rims with tube tires

• 1 year later...

Wanted to see what tire size is best for dual sport riding, mostly on the street though. I have a 17 inch rim on the back and 21 inch on the front. This is for a 1987 XR600R. Would like to go as wide as I can with stability on the road as well. I was looking at a size 90/90-21 130/80-17 for my bike but didn’t know if they would work or not.

Edited by Suzuki_DR650SE

• 1 month later...

I had avons on my klr 250 .I put a spare klr 600 spoked wheel on first . The klr 600 was a 250 wide . Not great but better . of course I had a tube in it . I have the same type avons mounted on some 17 "s tubeless . No Problem .