HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThumperKid250F

video of yz 450f from yamaha.com

17 posts in this topic

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelvideo/209/516/0/video.aspx

found a few things interesting about this, now i havent ridding the 08yz450 yet but everybody says that its lacking bottem end compaired to lets say the 06 and 07, i think CR and GL have something diff to say about that.

If they paid you what they pay them you would say it also. Also I have 08 its not lacking anything once its set up correct the bike is faster on pavement than my 06 with a heavier rider on 08. But CR and GL will say what yamaha says to say:blah:

As I recall, neither of them spends much time on a bike with a factory exhaust on it, and that's what kills the low end.

But I could be wrong.

yep , its the stock exhaust thats killing the low end... MXA should be slapped for beating the 08 up so bad. I took my FMF powercore off my 07 and ran it on the 08. The 08 put out as much low end as my 07 with the powercore and actually has more mid and top. Very please with the engine now. It still needs some attention from Zip-Ty for the carb , as I got to read the fine print off my front fender in a whoop section last week. Carb will be back tomorrow!

As far as CR and GL goes, their on factory bikes, no relation to what we're riding...

As far as CR and GL goes, their on factory bikes, no relation to what we're riding...

Under the rules, they're actually fairly closely related. But they're certainly not siblings.

yep , its the stock exhaust thats killing the low end... MXA should be slapped for beating the 08 up so bad. I took my FMF powercore off my 07 and ran it on the 08. The 08 put out as much low end as my 07 with the powercore and actually has more mid and top. Very please with the engine now. It still needs some attention from Zip-Ty for the carb , as I got to read the fine print off my front fender in a whoop section last week. Carb will be back tomorrow!

MXA did beat on the 08 baaaddd. they basically paid total attention on how the engine is like electric, and lacking major power. i sitll dont get the new muffler, some cone-type device in there. either way i heard (like others) thats whats taking away the low end

maybe my brain didnt process that right (which is probably the case) but what i got was that they made it quieter and less airflow just to save .6 pounds? if thats true then wow, didnt they just waste hours of some engineers time?

Well, quiet is good; lighter is good; shorter is good; less power is not good. It depends on your priorities and perspective, but I'd agree with how your brain processed things here.

Well, quiet is good; lighter is good; shorter is good; less power is not good. It depends on your priorities and perspective, but I'd agree with how your brain processed things here.

not that i could handle any 450, but if i did have one i think id take the .6 pounds for what its worth in power. ive read an aftermarket pipe cures the problem pretty easily. im reading over this MXA review again, damn.. if its as bad as they say, the factory team will be running 07's because the 08's are really that bad :confused: , i think MXA got a little carried away with there 08-bash

not that i could handle any 450, but if i did have one i think id take the .6 pounds for what its worth in power. ive read an aftermarket pipe cures the problem pretty easily. im reading over this MXA review again, damn.. if its as bad as they say, the factory team will be running 07's because the 08's are really that bad :confused: , i think MXA got a little carried away with there 08-bash
Screw MXA! Remember the review they gave the 06 when it came out? They compared it to the fall of the Berlin wall[go back and see for yourself] it took 2yrs for them to say anything about the stearing issues that peaple were having.Know the bike is hardly changed and they call it shit pile because of a stock exhuast that most guys change on ther bikes anyway. But they rarely say anything about the Honda valve issues that a new owner will have shortly after the bike is broken in or the fact that the CRF got slower since the 05 engine.Its all about the $$$ if peaple think that the mags are not greased and they tell it like it is I have some snake oil I have to get rid of.

Under the rules, they're actually fairly closely related. But they're certainly not siblings.

the only thing in common is there both blue :worthy:

the only thing in common is there both blue :worthy:
This is true only of first year models. The '06 factory bikes would have been allowed very wide latitude, and could have been basically real "works" bikes. However, beginning with the second year of production, the frames have to be off the shelf production parts. Suspension components must also be production units from the same year/model, and may, of course be modified, but there are limits on the amount of costs that can be incurred in the process.

Likewise, the engine must start out as a production unit from the same year/model, and is allowed to be modified.

With these limits, except for introductory years, some of the bikes fielded by private teams are actually "tricker" than factory. And, in fact, a lot of factory stuff comes from private sources (like the connection between Pro Circuit and Kawasaki ).

And, then, over the top of all of that are the claiming rules. You, rr558, can buy any bike that runs at any AMA National. All you have to do is front the claiming fee in cash before the race starts. That tends to put a sort of limit on how much people will spend on a bike. BTW, if you do this, you will become unpopular. :worthy:

This is true only of first year models. The '06 factory bikes would have been allowed very wide latitude, and could have been basically real "works" bikes. However, beginning with the second year of production, the frames have to be off the shelf production parts. Suspension components must also be production units from the same year/model, and may, of course be modified, but there are limits on the amount of costs that can be incurred in the process.

Likewise, the engine must start out as a production unit from the same year/model, and is allowed to be modified.

With these limits, except for introductory years, some of the bikes fielded by private teams are actually "tricker" than factory. And, in fact, a lot of factory stuff comes from private sources (like the connection between Pro Circuit and Kawasaki ).

And, then, over the top of all of that are the claiming rules. You, rr558, can buy any bike that runs at any AMA National. All you have to do is front the claiming fee in cash before the race starts. That tends to put a sort of limit on how much people will spend on a bike. BTW, if you do this, you will become unpopular. :worthy:

what, claiming rule???? umm I think that went the way of the dinosaurs about 20 yrs ago when someone actually claimed a works Honda.

There is a claiming rules in the amature nationals, it is something like twice msrp, off the top of my head without goin to look it up.

Also, there is no limit on the amount of money that the 450 class puts in any part of its bike, including susp. Those are not based on off the shelf parts, and are not for sale. Bubba(and others I suspect) run 50mm forks.

You can buy 50mm works forks if you have the money and a ama pro licences. Just call enzo. Ever since team yamaha brought them in for Josh Hill and Brock Hepler they have to be available to the public by rule. Suspension wise anything in the 250f class has to be available to the privateer. This is not the rule in the 450 class though. I believe they only have to have x number of sets available per year and it's very cost prohibitive.