XR650L/R on the highway?

OK - story time. It was to be a beautiful summer day and I planned for the first time to ride my pride and joy 2005 XR650L (uncorked stock gearing) to work, which is all toll a 104 mile round trip. 19 miles of 2 lane highway to the ferry and then upon departure from the ferry 33 miles of freeway to work. It was not bad. Dunlop 606's sung a bit, but 65 MPH seemed pretty comfy. And then it happened. The ferry went out of service due to a crash into the landing dock. No problem I thought, I will simply ride my bike "around" that is for those of you not familiar with Washington state, you venture north to a bridge that connects Whidbey Island to the mainland, The deception pass bridge. It was indeed busy leaving Seattleas the freeway was jammed with cars, so I dodged off onto side streets wanting to keep air moving over that big single beneath me. My temp climbed at one point to 300 degrees! ouch! finally I popped back onto the freeway some 20 miles north of Seattle and settled into cruise mode, at around 65-70MPH as the white brothers E2 Rapped away the Brrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppp. Mile after mile...

Some 50 odd miles into the ride my shoulder blades began to feel uncomfortable. My hands buzzy, not bad just a bit. Stopping for fuel in Mt Vernon I realized how uncomfy I was, as I stepped off the bike, my feet were almost numb, hands a tingling and shuolder blades flat HURT, knees HURT, HIPS HURT. Now take into consideration I have skeletal problems as a result of military service and am 80% disabled as a result. The Doctor at the VA said I can expect a wheelchair one day, but until then I don't care how much it hurts, I ride!

All this being said I think that the XR650L will easily commute the distance that was originally asked. If it will for me it will for anyone. I rode total that day 173 miles and I was toast when I got home, hot shower, motrin (lots) and bed and ached for days afterward.

The moral of my story, Don't be afraid to ride your XR650L long distances the bike is more than capable and is fun to ride, did I mention my butt was sore too......

thanks for serving!:confused:

you see the local vet here in reno that cut down the mexican flag cuz it was above our flag?

My XRL is just at home on the road as it is in the dirt. Infact I been riding my XR on tje road much more than my high dollar custom cruiser.

mine has seen the road 75 percent of her short piggy life.

you see the local vet here in reno that cut down the mexican flag cuz it was above our flag?

SALUTE ME SON THATS RIGHT IM YOUR NEW SERGEANT!!!! SGT WAGONER HERE SAYS DO SOME DAMN PUSHUPS YOU SLACKER!!!

cut that flag down HELL YEAH id like to buy him a beer!!!

Back to post i would say L as its not that much of a slacker and i KNOW since i raced MX hard for many years and still do occasionally and i LOVE riding my L for a DS thats mostly street. I think youll get a better deal $$$$ on a L and for a first bike that you can get 45HP out of its not that much a slacker offroad. BESIDES if your new to riding you wont be able to keep up with veteran riders on MX 450s if you had any bike!!! Skill takes time to learn and many hours of riding. FYI i got my 03 L with 9K miles for $2300 so you can get good deals just takes some time.

NO but I would like to see it article etc if you have one.

your welcome, :confused: I'm just "High Mileage".... as the Doc put it...

Your 32? why are'nt you my son-in-law.... LOL

That's great to hear... I've wanted a bike since I can remember and I'm finally at a point where I can get one.

Please don't slam me here, I love XR's!!! But, I think that perhaps more of an adventure touring bike would suit you better. The XR's are, in my opinion, a true dual sport. The Kawasaki KLR 650 is an adventure touring bike. the KLR is better suited to paved and dirt roads. not trails. The XR's are better suited and happier on trails and dirt roads with some pavement too. I love my KLR for adventure touring, commuting, trips to Baja, etc. It's great on the highway, interstate, forest roads, etc. Just something to consider....

:confused:

Please don't slam me here, I love XR's!!! But, I think that perhaps more of an adventure touring bike would suit you better. The XR's are, in my opinion, a true dual sport. The Kawasaki KLR 650 is an adventure touring bike. the KLR is better suited to paved and dirt roads. not trails. The XR's are better suited and happier on trails and dirt roads with some pavement too. I love my KLR for adventure touring, commuting, trips to Baja, etc. It's great on the highway, interstate, forest roads, etc. Just something to consider....

Yeah, my dad (experienced rider, street bikes) seems to think that as well...but I'm in love with the XR650L. I think I will try and ride both before I buy.

SALUTE ME SON THATS RIGHT IM YOUR NEW SERGEANT!!!! SGT WAGONER HERE SAYS DO SOME DAMN PUSHUPS YOU SLACKER!!!

cut that flag down HELL YEAH id like to buy him a beer!!!

Back to post i would say L as its not that much of a slacker and i KNOW since i raced MX hard for many years and still do occasionally and i LOVE riding my L for a DS thats mostly street. I think youll get a better deal $$$$ on a L and for a first bike that you can get 45HP out of its not that much a slacker offroad. BESIDES if your new to riding you wont be able to keep up with veteran riders on MX 450s if you had any bike!!! Skill takes time to learn and many hours of riding. FYI i got my 03 L with 9K miles for $2300 so you can get good deals just takes some time.

sorry, forgot... thanks denn!:confused:

your welcome, :confused: I'm just "High Mileage".... as the Doc put it...

Your 32? why are'nt you my son-in-law.... LOL

i could be, for a small fee!!LOL!

heres a link for that video.....

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=6314

SLAM!!! noway KLR boo! :confused:

No, if I wanted a mosly street bike and wanted to do some long range long days in the saddle, I would have taken the KLR. And they are reliable too.

But the XRL would smoke it in the dirt, and thats what I wanted was a street leagal dirtbike. But I was/am quite surprised how nice the XRL is on the road.

i does very well and it doesnt weigh over 400 pounds!

SLAM!!! noway KLR boo! :confused:

No, if I wanted a mosly street bike and wanted to do some long range long days in the saddle, I would have taken the KLR. And they are reliable too.

But the XRL would smoke it in the dirt, and thats what I wanted was a street leagal dirtbike. But I was/am quite surprised how nice the XRL is on the road.

easy mister. if you have ever ridden a KLR you would know they are better on the road. heavy is good on paved roads. the engine holds more oil for longer service intervals and you can carry more weight for touring. KLR's have better lighting, are liquid cooled, a fan, are lower to ground, bla bla bla. XR's rock off-road though!

I don't want to turn this into a KLR vs XR post. :confused:

simply want to give out an opinion from a guy that has owned 2 KLR's and 5 XR's (me).

I love them both and accept the fact each bike has it's suited applications.

55 is nothing for the "L" and I get 50mpg with all the usual mods.

easy mister. if you have ever ridden a KLR you would know they are better on the road. heavy is good on paved roads. the engine holds more oil for longer service intervals and you can carry more weight for touring. KLR's have better lighting, are liquid cooled, a fan, are lower to ground, bla bla bla. XR's rock off-road though!

I don't want to turn this into a KLR vs XR post. :confused:

simply want to give out an opinion from a guy that has owned 2 KLR's and 5 XR's (me).

I love them both and accept the fact each bike has it's suited applications.

THE VOICE OF REASON! :confused:

easy mister. if you have ever ridden a KLR you would know they are better on the road. :

isnt that what i basically said?

Almost a year ago I bought my first motorcycle, a 1993 xr650l. I was inclined to get a krl but found a used xrl in my price range. It had about 12K miles and cost $2k. It was stock except for being unplugged and a slip-on supertrap muffler. It showed its age but ran strong. Looking over lots of ads since, I should have paid about $500 less, but I was very eager to get on the road. I have put about 3500 miles on the bike in the last year. Running fire roads, dirt secondary roads, two-lane mountain twisties and lots of in-town commuting.

Before long, I realized I spent much more time on the street than off so I changed out the stock tires for Dunlop D607 front/Trailmax rear. Every day that I don't have to use four wheels, I use the xrl for the commute (40 miles round trip) to work. I am able to get a jump on all other traffic off the lights and cruise at 65 - 70 mph in the stretches where traffic allows. The height of the xrl puts my line of site on the road at about the same height as in my Astro van. Once your comfortable with the xrl, it is very maneuverable, quick and nimble.

I have put in a few 200 + mile (usually a mix of dirt and pavement) days on the xrl and I have to admit, I was fatigued at the end of the day. Chest and shoulders were sore from holding on/fighting the wind and a general fatigue from the buzziness. Before I balanced the front tire, the ride was kind of scary over 60 mph - the balancing makes a huge difference. I know there are some who cruise for extended stretches at higher speeds, but I still don't feel real comfortable over about 70 or so.

The D607's feel good on the street and highway (I'm a noobie and I know it, I don't come anywhere near the traction limits in the corners) and handled most dirt and gravel roads pretty well. The only negative experience I have had was on a dirt road with some sand drifts in sections a couple weeks ago and the front tire felt like it wanted to fold back under the bike going through the deeper sand.

I am very happy that I got the xrl. It has been great for learning basic riding skills (building on the MSF basic riding class), it cuts through traffic with ease, and is a pretty simple machine to maintain.

When it comes to care and issues with the machine, this forum is a great resource. I have learned enough from lurking and reading the archives here that, along with a little help from Clymer, I feel pretty confident doing most of the maintenance and repairs myself.

Bottom line is its a fun bike that, if you are not in too great a hurry, you can buy used for a reasonable price and keep it up without breaking the bank. I have already bought a second motorcycle for longer highway rides but I have no intentions of letting the xrl go.

Whatever you choose, have fun and ride safe.

Oh yeah 45 - 48 mpg commuting.

i disagree, you cant make an R do as well as an L on the street.

on the other hand an L cant always go as fast as an R does offroad.

Fixed that for ya

Dave (pot, meet stirrer, hehehehe)