HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dkuntz

Water works?

4 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a 98 WR400 and love it. When I first start my bike in the cold weather after settting for a week I will get a little antifreeze dripping from the pinhole on my water pump. I went to my dealer and was going to get a new water pump seal, but he said if my bike had been setting for a while that this would happen becasue the seals get dry or something. Should I go ahead and replace the water pump seal anyways or is my dealer correct? This doesn't happen all of the time just once in a while. Seems as if it only does it when it is cold out (30 degrees or so), but I can't verify that.

Please help.

Doug

Yes, I can agree with the dealer on that, In fact, my 00 WR did that very thing last weekend. I started it for the first time since November last weekend, and it left a 1 inch round puddle of coolant when first started. (it was 18 degrees F). By the way, I couldn't believe how easy it started after sitting that long. About 10 kicks, and about 6 twists of the throttle. Who says these things are hard to start?!!

------------------

00 WZ400

01 Yamaha Raptor

99 Kawasaki ZRX1100

99 Yamaha Warrior

Doug,

Your local dealer may be right, but I'd keep an eye on it. If it continues to leak, buy the outer seal and replace it. It is very easy (with the help of your manual) and the seal is inexpensive (less than $10 if I remember right). The water pump seals on the 98 and 99 WR did have some problems and were prone to leaking. Mine leaked on my 99 WR but replacing it was a simple and inexpensive task.

Doug,

Your local dealer may be right, but I'd keep an eye on it. If it continues to leak, buy the outer seal and replace it. It is very easy (with the help of your manual) and the seal is inexpensive (less than $10 if I remember right). The water pump seals on the 98 and 99 WR did have some problems and were prone to leaking. Mine leaked on my 99 WR but replacing it was a simple and inexpensive task.