Protecting Headlight?

Go to you local hardware store and get a stainless steel light switch cover. They have them without the hole for the switch. Get a sticker from local bike shop to cover the small mounting holes, (I used High Octane) it fit perfect. Put velcro in 2 of the corners to hold it on the light. The light switch plate will fit perfectly over the light. Ive had a lot of guys ask me where I got it. looks like it is made for it. PS flatten the small holes with a ball peen hammer.

What do you think the weight difference would be between a .5mm stainless plate and a 2.5mm plastic plate? I kinda think the stainless might possibly weigh less - take one of each over to the bulk nail section of the hardware store and compare! :confused:

At first I had white plastic, then I changed it to stainless. It weighs next to nothing and looks way better. matches the forks. Came up with the idea when my friend payed $130.00 for his new lens. It also covers up that ugly head light!

I bought this for my WR headlight and I've used it for 4 hare scrambles, a 200 mile dual sport and over 100 miles of trail riding. It hasn't taken any direct hits from golf ball sized rocks, but I'm sure it's been hit with something. You'd never know it was ther unless I told you.

X-PEL

$10 bought me enough to cover 4 headlights. It's 40 mil thick and made by 3M. I'm pretty sure it's the same as the Dual Star stuff.

Click the bulk film link for pricing by the sq. in. ($0.11/sq. in.):confused:

Go to you local hardware store and get a stainless steel light switch cover. They have them without the hole for the switch. Get a sticker from local bike shop to cover the small mounting holes, (I used High Octane) it fit perfect. Put velcro in 2 of the corners to hold it on the light. The light switch plate will fit perfectly over the light. Ive had a lot of guys ask me where I got it. looks like it is made for it. PS flatten the small holes with a ball peen hammer.

Yes, a picture would help..

This 07 headlight is tricky to protect. Dont really like the sticker idea, and I already broke 2 headlights in the past.

How are you guys protecting your head light when your doing day rides. i would like something that overs the light then pull it off when i need the head light? any ideas would be great as i dont like spending 75 bucks to fix a broken head light!

Pictures of your set up would be great too!

I have a thick clear cover of 3M stuff that goes right over the lamp itself. You dont even notice its there.

That Lexan plate is pretty cool, but man it's expensive, for that money you can buy a scrap piece from a plastics store and cut yourself 10-20 of them to supply your buddies or go into business yourself!

That 3M stuff is nice, but will it hold up and protect the glass from a stone at 60mph? I really wonder - only because I see that protective stuff on cars and it does stop the sandblasting that happens over time, but you still get a good ding in the bodywork if a sizeable stone hits it - meaning the glass would still be absorbing the impact and shatter but stay stuck to the film - I think the object here is to protect the glass from breaking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...