xr600r cam and valve lubrication

1992 xr600r

I am replacing a cam and followers that have failed from lack of oil - I will check and overhaul/replace the oil pump and screens and pipes.

Where does the oil go in the head to lube the cam and followers - If I pressurize the hole where the "oil pass pipe" (the small chrome pipe into the rear of the cylinder head, it seems to be blocked - The cam is removed from the head, so I expected to be able to see where the oil came out into the head???

congrats, you're an addict! the wife give you any stuff for spending too much time talking about bikes?:confused:

Constantly. :confused:

I told her about the "TT Addict" a few days ago. She was in the room with me when I made post 3000. I said "Honey, I'm now officially a TT Addict." She rolled her eyes....

I think that you are going to find your way to post 3000 sooner than you think.

• Like 1

Metisse, the hole in the rocker cover basically goes into a chamber at the RHS of the cam where the sealed cam bearing is located. The oil then passes thru the centre of the cam and out the holes in the base circle of the cam lobes.

If you have no cam there then the oil should fill the chamber and pour into the camchain tunnel. The cam doesnt rely on high pressure, more on flow, but you should still be able to pass air or oil thru the dleivery hole in the cover.

HTH,

Adam 'long way off an addict' :confused:

Constantly. :confused:

I told her about the "TT Addict" a few days ago. She was in the room with me when I made post 3000. I said "Honey, I'm now officially a TT Addict." She rolled her eyes....

I think that you are going to find your way to post 3000 sooner than you think.

ya mine too, lol! she say's "how much can you poss. talk about your bike?". i say, "how many times can you watch that SAME ice skating movie?". that usually gets no response, lol.

my oil pump problem was last year - its no longer an issue.

The rubber was the nitrile lining from a goodridge oil hose (as my bike runs hoses to and from the oil tank behind the seat). I think a chunk of it either fell into the oil hose or into pinged into the oil tank when I was building the hoses up.

A freak problem basically.

I now run a stellite welded HRC profile cam and rockers, which in theory could almost run dry and not suffer! Theres plenty of oil in the top end these days - I always check the top end is primed after changing the oil or after a strip down - just to be sure

my oil pump problem was last year - its no longer an issue.

The rubber was the nitrile lining from a goodridge oil hose (as my bike runs hoses to and from the oil tank behind the seat). I think a chunk of it either fell into the oil hose or into pinged into the oil tank when I was building the hoses up.

A freak problem basically.

I now run a stellite welded HRC profile cam and rockers, which in theory could almost run dry and not suffer! Theres plenty of oil in the top end these days - I always check the top end is primed after changing the oil or after a strip down - just to be sure

curious, what is your priming proceedure. i like to crank it over with kill switch on and crack the upper banjo bolt until i see oil come out. works, but makes a mess. this is why im interested in this clear tube you talk about.

my current hose isnt clear - its a braided stainless with clear heat shrink on the outside. The Aprilia Mille V-twins use a clear plastic tube as a oil level gauge on the oil tanks and that seems ok. I raced an Aermacchi single cyl bike that had clear oil pipes as well, so it is possible. The biggest problem I know of is that for racing the scrutineers dont like plastic hoses and they dont like non swaged fittings for oil hoses.

....Thats why I use the braided hose with swaged fittings.

To prime the oil I have a specific method for my bike as its in a road race (Spondon RGV250 chassis). I slacken the top banjo bolt to the head and remove the oil retun connection to the oil tank, remove the spark plug then put the bike in gear, and push it (starter has long gone!) until I get oil spirting out of the top oil line and the oil return (scavenge) line. That way I know Im getitng oil to the head and the pump is fully primed and returning oil to the tank.

The scavenge check was something my brother suggested as its what he does on a matchless classic racer.