HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Terrytech

08 XR650L Best mod sugestions to uncork?

18 posts in this topic

I,m getting the 08 XR650L This week and everybody including the sales rep tells me you have to uncork it because the CA smog junk kills it. It's been sugested to put a Big Gun Exhaust system, smog block off, jet the Carb, and open the Air box. Is anything on the 08 different from earlier modles, or can i shop for an 05-08 and be the same? And any other sugestions for my new toy?:confused:

93-08 are all identical except for the occaisional change to 'bold new graphics'.

Removing the smog stuff will decrease weight, probably increase cooling, and will decrease decel popping. There is no power increase to just removing the air-pump, etc.

There is a fair power increase, and a large throttle-response increase if you rejet, drill the slide, and shim the stock needle, and pull the snorkel.

Alternatively you can get a dynojet kit, and pull the snorkel.

A foam air filter flows a little better than the stock paper, as well.

I usually recc. people try the cheap mods, then decide on an aftermarket muffler. A muffler change will aid the revs and top-end power a bit.

Dave

Heres the link to the "daves mods" that most do, i have this as do many and it only cost you about .25 to buy the washer for the needle as a dyno jet cost ??? i dont know but you can search and read about it if you like. Theres alot of past info on search and you can find answers to any of your questions there. Where are u in CA?

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

with the djet kit the needle in the kit has a different shape than stock. it was made this way for a reason i figure, so i went djet and drilled the slide.

You can also join the XRL Users Group on Yahoo. There are some good files saved in there that will aid you in "Dave's Mod" and other cheap go fast things like grinding down the welds on the inside of your header flanges.

grats Terry.

If you are gonna be off roading I would recommend regearing, also if you like wheeling. 14/48.

grats Terry.

If you are gonna be off roading I would recommend regearing, also if you like wheeling. 14/48.

ya and carry a 15 tooth with you to change out before hittting the hiway.

ya and carry a 15 tooth with you to change out before hittting the hiway.

now how you gonna stop on the side of the road and change a front sprocket and adjust chain?

all mentioned mods are good and it depends on your personal perspective and wallet. It is a far different bike uncorked. The addition of an aftermarket pipe is the creme de le crem (sp) and makes it all complete. I went back to the stock pipe for awhile - while running uncorked and hated it. Quiet yea, but gone was that loooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg strrrrrrrrrrroooooooooong effortless Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllllllllllllllllllllll.

loooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg strrrrrrrrrrroooooooooong effortless Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllllllllllllllllllllll.

HOLY SHIAT ***!!!! LOL

I see the problem.. It's the letter after the numbers put a "R" there instead of an "L" LOL come on I thought it was funny.

I see the problem.. It's the letter after the numbers put a "R" there instead of an "L" LOL come on I thought it was funny.

funny how, like a CLOWN?LOL!

If you decide to get another muffler I vote for the old White Brothers E series one and don't like any others, it looks great, isn't real long and is totally tunable for performance and sound, all other ones, you get what you GET!

The sound with 4-7 disc on is just perfect, louder then stock but not irritating like some after market ones, has a really nice tone to it.

Then they go and stop making it ! :confused::confused:

I got mine off of ebay, expect tp pay at least 200 for a nice one, maybe more.

42cd_1.jpg

these are killer muff's, if u can find one. then do like huffa and fab. a mount to keep the exhaust from melting the blinker like my dads did.