Clutch lever rattle after removing OEM handgaurds

After removing the oem handgaurds on my XR650, the clutch lever has alot of play at the pivot point.

Is there a fix for this? The noise is annoying.

Thanks

I have the same problem, I think there is a mod over at 4strokes in the technical section that will fix the problem. If not, I am going to try to find a small washer and just shim it until it stops rattling. Just making sure that it does not make it catch and it still moves smoothly.

James

Mine did same thing. Just get a big pair of channel lock plyers and squeeze the mounting bracket. You can bend it just enough to stop the rattling.

or fit with washer maybe so you dont have to bend it?

My XR650L clutch lever rattles vertically w/the handguards ON if tI take my hand off the handlebar...ok with when both hands are on.

Thinking it might be good to use nylon or brass washers? Would a SS washer wear the aluminum clutch assembly too much?

I used a small O-ring with a little greese.

Good info.

Thanks guys.

:confused:

Thinking it might be good to use nylon or brass washers? Would a SS washer wear the aluminum clutch assembly too much?

yes.:confused:

I used a small O-ring with a little greese.

very good idea!

The O-ring is good because it will allow the lever to move a bit when the bike goes down. Might save a break.

My lever moves up and down a lot- its great, its always in just the right place whether I'm sitting or standing. Must pivot vertically 2 inches, at least.

Try teflon warshers of different thickness.