HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huffa 2

Another cable lube method

17 posts in this topic

Sometimes those cable lubers just don't cut it for me, hole is too small in cable, so I just use a syringe to lube them, works great.

DSC04738.jpg

1 person likes this

Sometimes those cable lubers just don't cut it for me, hole is too small in cable, so I just use a syringe to lube them, works great.

DSC04738.jpg

What kind of oil is used?

wd40 leaves a pretty sticky surface after the solvents evaporate. It's designed as a protective coating (equipment shipped overseas in WWII), not as a lube. But I like the syringe idea!

wd40 leaves a pretty sticky surface after the solvents evaporate. It's designed as a protective coating (equipment shipped overseas in WWII), not as a lube. But I like the syringe idea!

Well that's good info too, I won't use the D anymore for that purpose then, Thank You !

Back when I worked in a bike shop (the pedal kind) we would use Tri-Flow for cables, from what I remember it worked pretty good for lots of stuff. I was actually eyeing a can of it in the hardware store the other day, untill the wife caught me and told me I already had enough cans of spray lube in the garage. Didnt want to bother explaining it at the moment

Back when I worked in a bike shop (the pedal kind) we would use Tri-Flow for cables, from what I remember it worked pretty good for lots of stuff. I was actually eyeing a can of it in the hardware store the other day, untill the wife caught me and told me I already had enough cans of spray lube in the garage. Didnt want to bother explaining it at the moment

I never liked the spray tri-flow....always got the non-pressurized bottles of it. Still have some from 10 years ago. Had a very distinctive smell to it IIRC.

1 person likes this

Huffa,

I hear ya. Lubed my R's cables before I left for MXoN and "most" of the lube went into the cable...

Where can you get syringes, without raising eyebrows?

Thanks!

Huffa,

I hear ya. Lubed my R's cables before I left for MXoN and "most" of the lube went into the cable...

Where can you get syringes, without raising eyebrows?

Thanks!

" without raising eyebrows " ........that cracked me up ! LOL

You know anyone diabetic ? I think that's where I got mine from.

My wife just said that outside medical centers there are red containers that contain biohazard material which I guess would include the syringes and are picked up later on when place is closed, hard to believe they would leave outside but that's waht she says our medical center does, :confused: possibly you could raid one of those, :confused: don't get caught though!

My wife just said that outside medical centers there are red containers that contain biohazard material which I guess would include the syringes and are picked up later on when place is closed, hard to believe they would leave outside but that's waht she says our medical center does, :confused: possibly you could raid one of those, :confused: don't get caught though!

Ack! :confused:

Man, I wouldn't go messing around in others' biospooge. Yer liable to get the epizooties! :confused:

Go to a vet & ask them for a used one & tell them what it's for. Also I read the same tip from a real old MC mag. The other method was, what is called the douch bag. Take a sandwhich size baggie & take scizzors to snip a real small hole in corner. slide the corner hole over cable end & casing approx 1/2"-1", and rubberband real tight around cable. Now hang up bag with cable hanging, & pour in some oil of choice.(put small pan or some bowl to catch oil going thru) You can actually work cable end in & out at other end to help flush out old grime. Oil will be dirty coming thru at first but will clear when a thorough douch is completed. Ahhh fresh as a summer's eve.

1 person likes this

Think the syringe trick will work with the cable still attached? I just replaced my clutch cable about a month ago.

I havent ran into a cable that i couldnt do with my luber, you have to cover with a rag cuz my can of cable lube squirts out a bit but always done the job very well. I dont like wd like said before also just cause its so light an oil and most cable lube or good chain wax will last a bit longer. Many neglect cables hopefully this thread will get some into keeping them up. I always lube mine and it helps them last alot longer and smoother than not. Good post Huff THX

Go to a vet & ask them for a used one & tell them what it's for. Also I read the same tip from a real old MC mag. The other method was, what is called the douch bag. Take a sandwhich size baggie & take scizzors to snip a real small hole in corner. slide the corner hole over cable end & casing approx 1/2"-1", and rubberband real tight around cable. Now hang up bag with cable hanging, & pour in some oil of choice.(put small pan or some bowl to catch oil going thru) You can actually work cable end in & out at other end to help flush out old grime. Oil will be dirty coming thru at first but will clear when a thorough douch is completed. Ahhh fresh as a summer's eve.

HAHAHA!LOL!