YAMAHA!! Where's the wr450 R/X ??????

Great point, but I havn't heard anthing about this new bike bring watered down.....

I am just really confused as to why they didn't do this with a 450.... anyone have any ideas?

Maybe not watered down but just look at these comparisons :thumbsup:

Dry Weight -

2008 WR250R 276 lb (CA 278 lb)

2008 WR250F 234 lb

That is 42 lbs!!!! (44 if your in CA) - Do you guys realize how much weight that is when talking about any kind of trail bike :thumbsup:

Ground Clearance -

2008 WR250R 11.8 in

2008 WR250F 14.4 in

We really don't owe Yamaha anything.... I've been buying Yamahas for the whole family for close to 9 years.... just put a f:censored:ing plate on the WR!!!! Don't give me something like this new WRR, am I supposed to be able to buy one of those and go out and compete with EXC's?

When discussing racing, I don't care about a plate but I do a TON of free riding all over in nat'l forests, DNR land, you name it and big loops are hard to do with out a plate or poaching some road, it would be nice to have a plate... I live in WA state and all I see (probably 80%) out there on the trails and the track is KTM.... someone mentioned in here that Yamaha is selling plenty of bikes without the plate.... hah! They are getting their asses handed to them in the 450 market by KTM and even Husky is catching up to them all because of the plate... the answer is not this WRR/X. Having said all of this, I believe there is a market for this bike but it's not the same market that is out buying KTM's and Husky's because of the plate.

Maybe not watered down but just look at these comparisons :worthy:

Dry Weight -

2008 WR250R 276 lb (CA 278 lb)

2008 WR250F 234 lb

That is 42 lbs!!!! (44 if your in CA) - Do you guys realize how much weight that is when talking about any kind of trail bike :thumbsup:

Ground Clearance -

2008 WR250R 11.8 in

2008 WR250F 14.4 in

We really don't owe Yamaha anything.... I've been buying Yamahas for the whole family for close to 9 years.... just put a f:censored:ing plate on the WR!!!! Don't give me something like this new WRR, am I supposed to be able to buy one of those and go out and compete with EXC's?

When discussing racing, I don't care about a plate but I do a TON of free riding all over in nat'l forests, DNR land, you name it and big loops are hard to do with out a plate or poaching some road, it would be nice to have a plate... I live in WA state and all I see (probably 80%) out there on the trails and the track is KTM.... someone mentioned in here that Yamaha is selling plenty of bikes without the plate.... hah! They are getting their asses handed to them in the 450 market by KTM and even Husky is catching up to them all because of the plate... the answer is not this WRR/X. Having said all of this, I believe there is a market for this bike but it's not the same market that is out buying KTM's and Husky's because of the plate.

I agree... that being said, my question still stands, why did yamaha come out with the 250 and not the 450? I'm thinking they have somthing really big up their sleeve in the next couple of years.... why else would they not come out w/ a 450 now? I would like to see the wr relativley unchanged but plated AND a new bike. Maybe bigger than a 450... 660??? :thumbsup:

The best thing Yamaha could do in my opinion (beacause of the growiing popularity of supermoto in the states) would be to sit down and design a bike along the same lines as the sm 610 or the duke. They would just have to really overengineer somthing to be able to keep weight down and displacement up... Somthing like a 700 (or 660) motor in a feasable frame. It is very do able! Im not looking for an MX bike with a plate but somthing thats powerfull, fun, reliable, and street legal. I think it would be a hit!

Come on yamaha pull through!:thumbsup:

none taken SJ, we all have our opinions.........:thumbsup:

This new WRR and WRX 250 is not a real WR.... you do not want a 4 valve, crappy suspension weird soft trail bike just to get a plate:prof: US Yamaha marketing people are ignorant for not putting out a real WR in dual sport form. (No offense intended Dube, let us know how the EFI works)

And Mutu.... I have been winning races in "A" classes against YZ's (and other makes/models) for years on WR400's, 426's & 450's with little or no mods.. I am on track this year to a series championship with nothing more than a GYTR end cap ($45), AIS removal kit($?) and race-tech springs ($180)..... all the other bolt on goodies you would have to do to a YZ anyway including a spark arrestor or 98db exhaust system... the WR450, any vintage is a formidable race weapon with little or no mods needed...

SJMC DON, quick question: Did you only replace the springs, or did you have suspension work done as well? I weigh 180, and I bottom the front and back often off road. I have found the bottom resistance on this bike ('07 WR450)to be very poor. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Jim

SJMC DON, quick question: Did you only replace the springs, or did you have suspension work done as well? I weigh 180, and I bottom the front and back often off road. I have found the bottom resistance on this bike ('07 WR450)to be very poor. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Jim

Springs only, I have done nothing with valving, I am running a 10wt oil in the forks. I weigh 210.

Wow.... at 180 the stock springs should be good but even with spring upgrades I do bottom out but only flatlanding jumps and "g-out" gulleys and stuff. You are obviously riding hard:thumbsup: I agree the compression is weak and it gets weaker at the bottom of the stroke.

Based on your weight, I would set sag and go in on the compression if you have not already. It may be possible for you to be happy in stock form before you go throwing money into it. I think the stock spring rates are good for your weight :confused: