YAMAHA!! Where's the wr450 R/X ??????

Why on God's great eath did Yami come out with the wr250 R/X and not a 450 version. Are they saving it for the next wr re-design? It just doesnt make sense to me. People are asking for a street legal wr450 but Yamaha is getting it's arse kicked by the euro's. I really think a street legal 450 supermoto would sell like crazy (read: drz-sm), but yamaha doesnt want to listen. Whats up with this? What do you all think? Any predictions? ?

Why on God's great eath did Yami come out with the wr250 R/X and not a 450 version. Are they saving it for the next wr re-design? It just doesnt make sense to me. People are asking for a street legal wr450 but Yamaha is getting it's arse kicked by the euro's. I really think a street legal 450 supermoto would sell like crazy (read: drz-sm), but yamaha doesnt want to listen. Whats up with this? What do you all think? Any predictions? ?

I think yamaha thinks that they wouldn't be able to recoup the costs of getting a big bore bike 50 state DOT legal.

I also think the bean counters at the tuning fork company are pansy asses

Why would it cost more than making a 250 street legal?

Because the 250 and a 450 would attract a different buyer.

IMHO the 250 is geared to people that have $$ and want to get into the dirtbike scene with a bike they can ride in the street. This type of rider would most likely get bored with the sport (hobby A.D.D.) and sell the bike

A 450 would attract a serious woods rider that needs the plate to get from trail to trail. From what it seems the WR 250R is not a serious dirtbike, but a really expensive playbike that is street legal. Plus those beginers I described would be intimidated by the power of a 450.

The perscription for what I want in a dual sport would be the bike I have sittin up on the stand now, with a 6 speed box, more oil capacity, a more comfortable seat, and a cush drive hub.

I believe the WR250R/X is there to replace the TT-R250.

I also believe that is also a bit of a test mule for the YZ / WR. Eg EFI, 6 speed and 4v head. I think the new '09 YZ's will have a new motor that will be 4v and efi. Street bikes are 4v now.

Street legal kit up's the price of the bike. Price needs to be competative. They sell more than enough as it is with out the kit. We get our enduro bikes street legal over here but they cost about US$10,000.

All I can say is that is hopefully they do bring out a 450 WRR/X and the WRF's go back to being HARDCORE enduro bikes instead of becoming soft trail bikes. ?

I believe the WR250R/X is there to replace the TT-R250.

I also believe that is also a bit of a test mule for the YZ / WR. Eg EFI, 6 speed and 4v head. I think the new '09 YZ's will have a new motor that will be 4v and efi. Street bikes are 4v now.

Street legal kit up's the price of the bike. Price needs to be competative. They sell more than enough as it is with out the kit. We get our enduro bikes street legal over here but they cost about US$10,000.

All I can say is that is hopefully they do bring out a 450 WRR/X and the WRF's go back to being HARDCORE enduro bikes instead of becoming soft trail bikes. ?

Since when are wrf's "soft" trail bikes, you're throwing me off. Alloy frame high perf yzf based motor..... soft i think NOT!

My point of this post was not that they need to change the wrf... keep it, but introduce an option package, or a new model alltogether that would appeal to the street legal or supermoto aspect of the sport.

Since when are wrf's "soft" trail bikes, you're throwing me off. Alloy frame high perf yzf based motor..... soft i think NOT!

Stock WR 40hp, YZ 50hp.

Suspension is valved for trail, not enduro. Ride a YZ426 and a WR426 back to back, then ride a YZ450 and a WR450 and get back to me.

Just look at what you got to do to the WR to make it enduro competative. Definately ain't what I call a race ready bike or an enduro bike! ?

Stock WR 40hp, YZ 50hp.

Suspension is valved for trail, not enduro. Ride a YZ426 and a WR426 back to back, then ride a YZ450 and a WR450 and get back to me.

Just look at what you got to do to the WR to make it enduro competative. Definately ain't what I call a race ready bike or an enduro bike! ?

Apples and oranges man.... the WR is a purpose built bike. It is by no means a 50hp motocrosser, or an enduro race bike, but I can tell you that outside of the high dollar euro sh*t, the wr has no match for its purpose. If you think its a "soft" trail bike, first off yes it is soft out of the crate... but who would ride it like that? You can make upwards of 45 hp just by doing the free mods. (15 min.). A decent pipe will get you up to 50... what more do you need.

Of course the wr IS a trail bike (suspension, motor, features, etc)..... thats where the market is. But it is by no means soft! There is no market for enduro race bikes.... 90% of the people who buy wr's ride trails.. why would yamaha deviate from this demographic?

Im simply hoping for a street legal 450 supermoto.... not a new WR, i think they are good as is!

• Like 1

Apples and oranges man.... the WR is a purpose built bike. It is by no means a 50hp motocrosser, or an enduro race bike, but I can tell you that outside of the high dollar euro sh*t, the wr has no match for its purpose. If you think its a "soft" trail bike, first off yes it is soft out of the crate... but who would ride it like that? You can make upwards of 45 hp just by doing the free mods. (15 min.). A decent pipe will get you up to 50... what more do you need.

Of course the wr IS a trail bike (suspension, motor, features, etc)..... thats where the market is. But it is by no means soft! There is no market for enduro race bikes.... 90% of the people who buy wr's ride trails.. why would yamaha deviate from this demographic?

Im simply hoping for a street legal 450 supermoto.... not a new WR, i think they are good as is!

You've got to keep in mind the source. Mutu has a CR 500 in his stable. Nothing else really compares to it in the engine department except maybe a KX 500. Pretty much anything under 50 hp is going to be a let down to a CR 500 rider. Hell I've heard CR 500 riders call piped and cammed 450 MXers weak...and they're anything but:eek:

The WR comes delivered soft in the power no doubt...but anyone who buys one expecting it to be a rocketship without some work, and then complains about it really has no business riding one.

The suspension in the woods is really alright. Yamaha's main objective was a better bike in the tight woods and thats where the suspension works best. I find the fork bottoming out on the bigger hits out on the trails and most jumps on the MX track. Since I rarely ride tracks with big jumps, I'm not going to get the fork re-sprung...it works to well in the technical stuff and I don't want to ruin a good thing.

I think you answered why they don't have a WR450R/X! Well, at least the R.

Yeah, it's a pity that you guy's don't get the WR450F registerable off the show room floor.

If anyone here in Aust. wants a street legal 450 supermoto, they just buy this kit:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/yshop/Product_detail.asp?CatID=2&ModelID=WR450F&CatDesc=Enduro&offset=all&ProdID=3497

The price is rediculous, even for over here.....

You've got to keep in mind the source. Mutu has a CR 500 in his stable.
Hehe, I got the CR500R after the WR450F!

My WR450F has got hotcams, high comp piston, Procircuit race pipe, race suspension..... basically a gnarly ENDURO bike!

When I race enduro's, it's the WR that gets a flogging. Not the 500. ?

The WR comes delivered soft in the power no doubt...but anyone who buys one expecting it to be a rocketship without some work, and then complains about it really has no business riding one.
That's a bit harsh! They market it as an enduro bike, not a Trail bike! I wonder why lots of people are going back to 2 strokes?

I was just making the point how watered down the WR comes off the floor compared to what it should be. Things like smog pump and severly corked up pipe? Why? You don't get them registered anyway. ?

The first thing I did on my bike was throw that muffler in the bin. 10hp, usable hp, instantly.

Second thing I did was get the suspension done. Wow! The bike no longer feels like a pig. It's better everywhere. I know suspension is a personal thing, but I think even the slowest trail riders would go speeds over 20mph.

Hehe, I got the CR500R after the WR450F!

My WR450F has got hotcams, high comp piston, Procircuit race pipe, race suspension..... basically a gnarly ENDURO bike!

When I race enduro's, it's the WR that gets a flogging. Not the 500. ?

That's a bit harsh! They market it as an enduro bike, not a Trail bike! I wonder why lots of people are going back to 2 strokes?

I was just making the point how watered down the WR comes off the floor compared to what it should be. Things like smog pump and severly corked up pipe? Why? You don't get them registered anyway. ?

The first thing I did on my bike was throw that muffler in the bin. 10hp, usable hp, instantly.

Second thing I did was get the suspension done. Wow! The bike no longer feels like a pig. It's better everywhere. I know suspension is a personal thing, but I think even the slowest trail riders would go speeds over 20mph.

You ask why they come corked up? Because here in the U.S. we have a little organization called the e.p.a. (environmental protection agency) and bike makers who want their bike to be able to be used on trails (read: trail bikes) have to meet certain restrictions with the government. I tip my hat off to yamaha..... they made it realtively easy for the consumer to remove this garbage and unleash a very capable machine! My 2 centavos!

Hey Guys, I placed a deposit on the 250X just last week. I know, it's only a 250, but we need to show Yam that we are apreciating them starting this new SM/DS craze by buying the 250's. If sales are good, they will follow up with the 450's in 09 or 10. I ride an 05 450 and just love it. For the past 3-years, I've been trying to figure out a way to get my wr plated in cal, but we all know the chance that it wont last:cry: . I've heard through the grapevine that a few guys got letters from DMV to turn in the plate and pick up a new green sticker. So, by November, I'll be the one ripping up the twisties in Temecula and Warner Springs with my new 250X. When the 450 comes out, I go get that one too. Then sale my 05 and get the new 450R:thumbsup: . Gots to have a wr/sm and a wr/ds in the garage.?

This new WRR and WRX 250 is not a real WR.... you do not want a 4 valve, crappy suspension weird soft trail bike just to get a plate:prof: US Yamaha marketing people are ignorant for not putting out a real WR in dual sport form. (No offense intended Dube, let us know how the EFI works)

And Mutu.... I have been winning races in "A" classes against YZ's (and other makes/models) for years on WR400's, 426's & 450's with little or no mods.. I am on track this year to a series championship with nothing more than a GYTR end cap ($45), AIS removal kit($?) and race-tech springs ($180)..... all the other bolt on goodies you would have to do to a YZ anyway including a spark arrestor or 98db exhaust system... the WR450, any vintage is a formidable race weapon with little or no mods needed...

This new WRR and WRX 250 is not a real WR.... you do not want a 4 valve, crappy suspension weird soft trail bike just to get a plate:prof: US Yamaha marketing people are ignorant for not putting out a real WR in dual sport form. (No offense intended Dube, let us know how the EFI works)

And Mutu.... I have been winning races in "A" classes against YZ's (and other makes/models) for years on WR400's, 426's & 450's with little or no mods.. I am on track this year to a series championship with nothing more than a GYTR end cap ($45), AIS removal kit($?) and race-tech springs ($180)..... all the other bolt on goodies you would have to do to a YZ anyway including a spark arrestor or 98db exhaust system... the WR450, any vintage is a formidable race weapon with little or no mods needed...

Great point, but I havn't heard anthing about this new bike bring watered down..... it seems a fair bit of new technology went into it... but we'll see once the reviews come flying in. Yamaha went to 4 valve heads on their streetbikes, and supposedly picked up significant bottom and mid-range. I suppose that the whole linup will do away with the 5 valve even though it's yamaha's tradmark. I too am afraid that the four valve head will be less reliable than the 5.... but truth in time tells all!

I am just really confused as to why they didn't do this with a 450.... anyone have any ideas?